Ultimate Tool Stand finally coming together

Ned Bulken

I've been using an old cart that John cobbled together a long time ago, to hold up my planers (sequentially). however it always has had these cheapo little HF casters on it. Needless to say they never really worked all that well, so I'm in the process of building my version of the Ultimate Tool Stand from American Woodworker. My venerable chop saw stand is going to serve as the top of the stand... since I simply took the design from the UTS, and built a 4' long version of it. I'll have to see if my planer will fit in the 'well' of the clamping station/miter saw stand, height wise.

I've been on a cleaning binge in the shop the past few times I've been out there. Sort of 'spring cleaning' after my cutting board frenzy. July went by in a blur, so I'm taking a day or two and enjoying organizing the shop (if I tell myself that I enjoy it enough times, do you think I'll actually grow to do so? :huh: doesn't seem to be working yet.
Today I dug out the torsion box from my old workbench. I figure that will serve as a nice sturdy base for the UTS. I'm going to go cut some legs for it, and then do some assembully on the project. I'll have to disassemble the chopsaw station, but that's ok, I'd rather have the UTS than the wall mounted chop saw station.

ned, you may want to swap out those 2 non swiveling casters for swiveling ones. you gain a lot more maneuverability that way. i use swiveling on all my benches, including the behemoth that is the late bench. the behemoth is the same square footage, 2 ft by 6 ft, but its a lot heavier built due to the load it has to carry (bench has to come in around at least 200 lbs, and the lathe alone is 150). it would be no fun if i couldn't spin that thing in place....

Attachments

• behemoth.jpg
    behemoth.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 28
Dan,
I will most likely do just that, but not immediately. I'm near HF every day or so, but it is a bit of a special trip as it's not right next to work.
drat, in reverse order:

null-144.jpg
There is where I'm leaving it for the night, all of my batteries are 'down' right now... so I'll get back to it tomorrow evening. On the plus side. I stopped at the Borg to pick up that 1/4 sheet of b/c 1/2" ply, and the opposite side from the one shown had a huge void in it. Obviously not something I'm terribly worried about for a shop work station, but I asked if there was any other pieces. She knocked off 'some' from the price... all the way down to $6. Sweet!

null-145.jpg
getting there...

null-142.jpg
ready to bring it down to the floor...

null-58.jpg
No, it isn't done yet...

null-72.jpg

The bench-top after I disassembled the chop-saw station.

Dan,
I will most likely do just that, but not immediately. I'm near HF every day or so, but it is a bit of a special trip as it's not right next to work...

But right now the cabinet is empty and easy to turn upside down. Once you get it done, you're not likely to see the bottom of it for years. ;)

Another way to look at it: It's a lot less work to swing by Harbor Freight now than it will be to empty the cabinet and turn it upside down in a month/year/decade. :) In the meantime, you'll be wishing you had four swivel casters every time you move that bench, especially in your small shop where turning-around room is at a premium. :yes:

Hmmmm The ultimate tool cabinet. I would hate to change the casters on my ultimate tool cabinet. 27"x about 7' long. with a planer inside the left door & a spindle sander inside the right door & all kinds of tools in the drawers. When all the tools are on top there is a 12" Hitachi SCMS a Shopfox Mortiser & a old Duro drill-press. Better listen to Papa McMillan.

Attachments

• Miter-saw multi tool stand 036.jpg
    Miter-saw multi tool stand 036.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Miter-saw multi tool stand 016.jpg
    Miter-saw multi tool stand 016.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: