gaining some space and need a plan

This is my old shop space: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?5329-reorganization-in-progress, it was a one car attached garage.

I'm moving to a two car detached garage. A friend of mine with a truck unexpectedly dropped by today and we brought over my RAS, BS and jointer / DP (they share a mobile base to counter the wobbliness of each). The garage is about 20 feet square. It has two overhead doors which I define as the front and a mandoor (installed by me, including framing up some extra space above the door with glass blocks) on the right, right about halfway back. I promise to post pics when I work up the energy - we're still moving stuff. Mostly my stuff at this point - flat wood, bowl blanks, tools, a workbench / assembly table (I'll be able to move the lathe off of this table! :thumb: ), a couple #6 and one each #8 and #62 handplanes; Olympic weight set; wargaming miniatures; sewing machine (a nice mechanical Pfaff that will, with minor protest, go through 3/8" leather); a professional chemistry and mathematics library that, sadly, is likely going to shrink due to mold following unexpected flooding while I was rehabbing the new house - thankfully we'd already packed and staged most of the gaming books); and, well, I think that about covers what is left to move, oh, wait, some carboys for homebrewing! Knew I was forgetting something.

So, on the left side wall just inside the left overhead door I installed a couple stud pieces to use as clamp racks. In front of this is going to be the drill press and jointer (same mobile base to avoid wobbliness). Continuing along the wall is going to be the RAS and then assembly table / workbench. The thought (thanks to a coworker) is that I can open the overhead for long pieces when needed. I really need a pic for this. It has been awhile, is it ok that I'm using Flickr as a pic host instead of uploading here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good plan. It's ok to use flickr.

I know it's been a while since you've been here, but the new forum software will re-size your pics automatically when you upload them. I use the "Insert Image" icon on the toolbar (hover them to see the names), then choose from either computer or by URL. If you do it via a URL there is an option to have it copied to the forum, it's up to you if you leave that clicked or unclicked.

I took some pics, but I need to do some post on them first. They need some serious exposure adjustment and I want to stitch them into a ppanoramic. First I want to try to install house Ethernet and get ice cream.

Ok, did some post. These may well be the worst photos I have ever published. Is there a way for my photographer friend Ned to not see these? I'm capable of better and will add a better shot at a later date. I had wanted to make one long pano shot, but my starting photos were so bad the best I could get was two panos.

So, where was I? Well, you can see the DP, jointer and RAS (still need to put on the table and reshim it - may well remake the table from scratch). Continuing to the right will be the assebmly table / workbench / router table, but without the lathe on it. The scroll saw and BOSS will be in the corner. The lathe will be under the left boarded up window space and then the bandsaw. To the right of the bandsaw will be some pegboard for storage and that far right corner is going to also house my Olympic weight equipment. I need the ceiling height of the garage for the clean and jerk. I think the shelves may go in the middle of the garage, delineating the two bays and the planer / grinder will be near the center monopost.

Open to ideas.

left_DSC4127_4129 by mek42, on Flickr

right_DSC4130_4134 copy by mek42, on Flickr

Layout sounds like it would work fine. Will you be insulating and closing up any of the space to be able to use it during the winter?

You got some crazy framing going on in that garage, looks like a few supports have been added over the years and patches done. Are there any supports going from that center beam up to the ridge or are there just the cross braces holding the sides in? I'm not knocking it, looks like a great space to have, just curious why there are all the supports down the middle and the angled ties on each side, they're all in places that seem to be a bit in the way, but may just be the perspective of the camera. :wave:

Edit: NM...looks to be balloon framed, which explains some of it. :wave:

I installed the monopost and plan on taking out the wood post once I anchor it to the pad. I also plan to marry some 2 * 8 studs to the two by three, real two by three, on twenty four that is the structure. From these I plan to build a loft in the back half of the shop.

Thee house was built in nineteen twenty. Sadly, there is not a single long span timber in the garage. Everything is some kind of crazy marriage of multiple studs. Ned can take full credit for my shop not collapsing, though. He contributed the maple scrap I used to shim above the monopost to provide support for both married timbers.

Right now, we plan to use this house to reset ourselves financially. If we end up liking it here, we may do more to the structures.

Layout sounds like it would work fine. Will you be insulating and closing up any of the space to be able to use it during the winter?

You got some crazy framing going on in that garage, looks like a few supports have been added over the years and patches done. Are there any supports going from that center beam up to the ridge or are there just the cross braces holding the sides in? I'm not knocking it, looks like a great space to have, just curious why there are all the supports down the middle and the angled ties on each side, they're all in places that seem to be a bit in the way, but may just be the perspective of the camera. :wave:

Edit: NM...looks to be balloon framed, which explains some of it. :wave:

I re-read your post. Yes, there are some supports from the center beam to the ridge for snow load. Also, there is another monopost from the center beam to the ridge more or less directly above the monopost I installed.

I put up a sheet of pegboard tonight. In the pic in post four, bottom pic, left side, if you look at the back wall, kind of between the monopost and the timber post, that is where the pegboard is. I bought a new set of pegboard hooks, because I didn't know where I put the ones I moved. After I hung up my EZ Smart rails I turned around and most of my old pegboard hooks were in a bin not three feet from where I put the sheet up. On a shelf, almost at eye level. :doh:

I have bought enough two by six studs to build two half walls in the back of the shop that will support the ends of the twenty foot two by eight long spans I'll use as loft joists. I'm also going to drill the two by sixes for pipe for wood storage, planning to do longs on the left of the shop and shorts on the right, as I want to hang a bolt organizer on the right also.

The long span lumber should be in the budget in four to six weeks. Hopefully I'll have the half walls up by then.