allen had best not look at this board....

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, i put my foot in it this time! this is the oddest board i've made to date. it is maple, cherry, and walnut, and is designed to give allen a headache if he looks at it too long. details to follow as construction occurs, but for now, i have all of the lumber for this and another project, all of the parts cut, then planed to thickness (1/4"), and the first blank glued up, and then the rest glued up. can't wait to finish this one up.

Attachments

• 001 boards for projects.jpg
    001 boards for projects.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 002 maple parts cut.jpg
    002 maple parts cut.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 003 walnut parts cut.jpg
    003 walnut parts cut.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 004 cherry parts cut.jpg
    004 cherry parts cut.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 005 all parts planed to thickness.jpg
    005 all parts planed to thickness.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 006 first set glued up.jpg
    006 first set glued up.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 007 last sets in glued up.jpg
    007 last sets in glued up.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 89
well, made a bit more progress today. i found that i needed more of the maple blocks, and had a surplus of walnut blocks. while the new maple and cherry blank was setting up, i planed the bottoms of the other blanks, and started working on the second go round of the new wine bottle holder. once the new blank was set up, it got its bottom planed too. then it was over to the planer to bring them all down to the the same thickness, and cutting the squares. as can happen at times, i had a bit of a boo boo while cutting the squares. instead of waiting for the blade on the miter saw to stop, i let it up and >bing<, one or more of the teeth caught the blank and sent it into my finger tip, causing a small gouge, a bit of blood, and no small amount of surprise (like all good lessons, this one hurt a bit too). no worries, a bit of a bruise and a small cut. after that, the reset of the cuts went ok. on a side note, there are 48 walnut squares, and 35 cherry squares. while we were at the y, i set up the squares in the proper orientation, and thankfully everything was nice and square. now it is on to making a jig to make the necessary cuts to realign the direction of the strips. sorry about not too much detail with the squares, don't want to give allen any more headaches.....

Attachments

• 008 last bit of cherry glued up.jpg
    008 last bit of cherry glued up.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 0009 bottoms planed flat.jpg
    0009 bottoms planed flat.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 010 planed to thickness.jpg
    010 planed to thickness.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 50
  • 011 cherry parts cut.jpg
    011 cherry parts cut.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 012 walnut parts cut.jpg
    012 walnut parts cut.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 61
now that the bookcase is out of the way, i can get back to this bit of torture. i have already designed a jig to cut the parts to the needed shape, and got a start in building it tonight. it was a little too late to do more than get this part of it done.

Attachments

• 013 beginning of jig for recutting.jpg
    013 beginning of jig for recutting.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 37
ok, now on to the really scary part :eek:, recutting all of the squares. having the jig with the hold down will make it that much safer. i have decided to post a little teaser pic, of the blocks set up, and the board that is yet to be. more pics to follow after the cutting is done.

Attachments

• 014 idea of what is to come.jpg
    014 idea of what is to come.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 51
well, the really scary part is done, the new jig worked like a charm, and all of the parts (83 of them) came out nice and square. now the really fun part, gluing all of those parts together. can't wait to sand it, and hit it with the oil. this one is definitely going to next year's state fair. my wife :blah: has laid claim to this board, but not as a cutting board, it's too nice for cutting chicken on, it's a work of art. so she is going to laminate a photo on it, and hang it on the wall.

Attachments

• 015 finished jig.jpg
    015 finished jig.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 016 first of 83.jpg
    016 first of 83.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 017 parts laid out after recutting.jpg
    017 parts laid out after recutting.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 35
i cut them a little over the needed thickness (these are 1/4" thick), then i run them through the planer, both sides, to remove any burning, or saw marks. then i glue them up. the heights may be a bit different, due to board thickness. then i run the bottoms over the jointer, then finish up on the planer. with that out of the way, i cut them to square on the miter saw, then recut them to align the strips with the corners, using the jig on the table saw.

a lot of work on that board dano, hope it fetches you a pretty penny. Its worth it, people have to appreciate all the different cuts and glue ups and time put into that. Its a cool looking board.

another step towards finishing this board. all parts are glued together. i glued it up in stages, so that the glue sets up a bit before i move on to the next ones. i used the glass top of the table, as it is the flattest surface here.

Attachments

• 018 all parts glued up.jpg
    018 all parts glued up.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20