Barn Raising - ALL moved in

Ned,

Looks like you have a good start. :thumb:

To kind of second Greg's question.... is the frame going to sit on the gravel? If so you might get some setteling after you are done if the gravel is not compacted.

Just think you can plane down those empty pallets! Probably some pretty good hard wood there...just watch out for nails and staples!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited:
Guys, as to it sitting on grade, that's what the plans I have are designed for. Building wise it is basically an 'overgrown' garden shed, designed to be a 'temporary' structure. now that I've slept on things, however. I think that I may just put it back up on stilts and build some stairs. It would be simple to do just that. I'm going to have Settling no matter what I do, but If it is on piers, It will make jacking it up and reworking it that much easier. One very good thing I have going for me, is that the stone is Level, so I'm starting with that from the get go. It took us awhile to get it leveled out. Funny thing we were leveling it across the short dimension, and all the while Sean kept saying, I don't know what we'll find on the long dimension, turns out it is good and level straight across both axis.

Coffee is brewing, time for me to find some Advil and restock the cooler with water and ice. I also have to run and get more joist hangers, as well as a Nail pouch, so I think I'm headed to the Borg in just a bit, since it is right next to wally world, and they've got ice and water.

Ned,

Looks like you have a good start. :thumb:

To kind of second Greg's question.... is the frame going to sit on the gravel? If so you might get some setteling after you are done if the gravel is not compacted.

Just think you can plane down those empty pallets! Probably some pretty good hard wood there...just watch out for nails and staples!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Sean, hate to say it, but they're just 2x4 pine. A Lot of it. they're just under 9' long, 4' wide with 4 long pieces and tons of cross pieces, top AND bottom. All held together with 16d nails. I'll use them for something, sooner or later. Funny thing, I brought them home from my prior employer last year, intending to break them down and use them. I've done that with one of them, but they've actually been very useful at this stage of the game to keep the supplies off of the ground!

Insulation going in....

Took me a little while to get my errands run this morning, but eventually I finished putting in the joist hangers. about that time my eldest son showed up. We picked up the framing and got all except one pier set up to be connected to the frame. I'm not going to connect them until after I get the decking down. At that point I'll jack up the framing and level the whole deck. As it stands now, there are a few piers which need more stone under them. I'll only need to put a little stone under each one to level everything off once again.
DSC00381.jpg

Looks pretty level under there to me. :D :clap:

I pulled a Marty and except for one photo in the afternoon, I waited until After dark to finish off the pictures. Luckily my Sony has IR focusing.

I mis-calculated on joists, and my local store was closed, so I trundled off to the Borg again (different one), and almost had to go to the Borg because they were Out of 2x8x12's. :eek: :bang: OK... plan B. yep, you guessed it. my final joist is a 2x10x12! it is barely noticeable to anyone but me.
DSC00376.jpg

About the time I got back from the Borg, there was a message from another new friend, Mark from over on Woodnet. He had chatted with Sean, and stopped by to help. Poor guy, wound up with the first 'shop' injury. We got the blocking all installed and were stapling in the reflectix when he missed and stapled his hand! :eek:

Lori was sitting nearby, and promptly got out the medical fixings and dressed his wound. It was getting pretty dark by then, so we bundled up his tools (He brought his Dewalt Circular saw, which I got to try out, nice saw, but my $20 craftsman (garage sale find) works just great still. He had the whole Ryobi 10-pack in a neat rolling case, and the impact driver came in handy putting in the short bracing between the joists on the end 'bays'.
While I was saying thank you and 'y'all come back' now yea hear?' Lori and Go-fer, er Adam went back to stapling insulation between the joists. I get back to the deck and hear 'Ow!'. you guessed it, the stapler claimed another victim. Lori this time, not 5 minutes after Mark left. Lori had just picked up a new 'backwards' (hinged at the back instead of the head end) which was the culprit.
We bandaged her up too, and picked up tools by the light of the neighbor's yard light.
Once the insulation is stapled in, I can go ahead and start putting down the CDX. Adam is going to keep on going after he gets home from school, so I may be putting deck down tomorrow evening. Depends on the weather, there may be rain when I get out of work.
DSC00380.jpg

I even got the blocking put in between the joists. Had to get a little creative on the end bays, but that floor shouldn't wrack or squeak.
All in all, I'm pleased with how I caught up today. I think I'll get a little done each evening this week, floor tomorrow, joists assembled on Tuesday, walls framed up Wednesday and Thursday etc... This coming weekend I've got a couple of things to do out of the house, so I don't expect I'll get much done either weekend day.
DSC00384.jpg

Oh, I forgot to order my floor joists for the loft, so I got another delivery this afternoon (before I realized I needed one more PT joist)

Making good progress, Ned. :thimb: You don't want your jobsite paramedic getting injured. Tell her to be careful. (As if it needs to be said.)

Wow Ned, having friends come over and help really makes a difference in the daily progress! Looking good! :thumb:

I'm glad to see you at least put the foundation up on those cute little piers. I was a little concerned with everything just laying on the gravel.

Your two injured helpers should be glad they weren't using a pneumatic stapler. I've shot those into my hand, and BOY do they hurt! :doh:

Keep up the good work!
- Marty -

Thanks guys,
Vaughn, she's hurting this morning, but everything works. I hope Mark will be ok as well. That was his first time meeting, and except for the stapler incident we had a great time!

Bartee,
the gravel and the piers combined will keep it out of the water table.

Marty,
Glad you like them!
Lori thinks she nicked a nerve, a lot of pain this morning and tingling on the fingertip. She's more concerned though with Mark.
You're so right about having help. Without them I'd still be nailing together the rim joists. Boy you weren't kidding about the framing nailer. My buddy Sean has loaned me his for the duration, and even has a roofing nailer. Now what do I do with the bag of galvanized roofing nails? :dunno: I'll figure it out later.

The LOML is already writing the 'honeydo' list once the shop is up. she wants me to build a Mission style loveseat. I said... um, give me a couple of months. :rofl: (can anyone say Benchtop Mortiser? I thought you could)

Cya!

Great progress Ned

Sorry about the walking wounded -- remember while woodworking isn't supposed to be a contact sport I think that we all have our share of battle scars. Hopefully they are small and inconsequential.

Honey do list = new tool buying opportunity

With apologies to some bad movie I watched a long time ago............... Mortisers? Mortisers? We don't need no stinking benchtop mortisers! :rofl: :rofl:

But can you say Domino?

Great progress Ned

Sorry about the walking wounded -- remember while woodworking isn't supposed to be a contact sport I think that we all have our share of battle scars. Hopefully they are small and inconsequential.

Honey do list = new tool buying opportunity

With apologies to some bad movie I watched a long time ago............... Mortisers? Mortisers? We don't need no stinking benchtop mortisers! :rofl: :rofl:

But can you say Domino?

Domino = 1/3 of my shop budget!

I'll get jiggy with it and work up a loose tenon jig for my 'to be built' router table.

Thanks Art, I thought I'd seen that plan somewhere before!

Well, life happened a bit tonight, but Sean stopped over again just as I got home from work, and went to work stapling in insulation between the joists, we ran out of that, (two rolls short, but that's "OK" I needed to buy a wider roll anyway, one joist is not on 16" center, more like 18" and 9", but I digress). When the insulation ran out, we started fitting flooring down. I will have to go out and take photos in a few minutes and then post them

Well,my work computer is hogging bandwidth right now, I'll post in the morning when I Hope I can get them uploaded to photobucket before I dash off to sillycuse.

Sean and I found that the first course fit just fine, but by the time we got to the end of the 2nd course, the blocking which I put in had bowed some of the joists. The blocking is NOT getting removed, so I'm going to nail in some supports with the air nailer tomorrow to support the edges of the one course of plywood. Which will be easier to deal with than custom cutting every piece more than I already will have to. Naturally with just 3/4 plywood, I'm noticing that it will just be the 'beginning' of the floor. I'll definitely be laying down some hardwood once I can afford it. It will keep the tools out of the gravel for awhile though.

Still, after the sun was mostly down and I finished picking up the few tools I had brought out, Standing on the deck was a neat feeling just the same.

Last edited:
finally got the images uploaded this morning.
Again, took photos after dark because I worked past the usable light (including putting away tools etc...)

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

not a Lot of progress, but at least there was some yesterday.
I'll pick up those two rolls of Reflectix on lunch today, and tonight I'll get the rest of it stapled in.

....one joist is not on 16" center, more like 18" and 9", ......

Sean and I found that the first course fit just fine, but by the time we got to the end of the 2nd course, the blocking which I put in had bowed some of the joists. The blocking is NOT getting removed,....

Ned, a word of advice. Be careful about what you DON'T fix. It's better to fix things now than to regret not fixing them for years and years. It may seem like a lot of work now, but it is nothing compared to wishing you had fixed it. I have made that mistake before and really regretted it.

Now, some things are not worth fixing. Not there so I don't know if what you mentioned is or isn't and not about to tell you what to do. But an hour repairing a mistake now is time well spent! Even if repairs puts you a day or two behind so what? You will never miss that time once you move in and start using it. And if you don't your be kicking yourself for rushing through for years!

Last edited:
Ned, a word of advice. Be careful about what you DON'T fix. It's better to fix things now than to regret not fixing them for years and years. It may seem like a lot of work now, but it is nothing compared to wishing you had fixed it. I have made that mistake before and really regretted it.

Now, some things are not worth fixing. Not there so I don't know if what you mentioned is or isn't and not about to tell you what to do. But an hour repairing a mistake now is time well spent! Even if repairs puts you a day or two behind so what? You will never miss that time once you move in and start using it. And if you don't your be kicking yourself for rushing through for years!

Jeff,
you are Absolutely correct, and I'm looking at what to fix or not. One end of three pieces of plywood aren't hitting a joist perfectly (one end does, then the other doesn't. what I'm planning on doing is to sister a 2x4 to the joist as a nailing surface. I 'missed' by less than an inch. The rest of the floor is well supported. I've got one high spot, which I'm going to break out the hand plane and knock that point down. Pulling up that sheet of ply to get at that one cross brace.
As you say, time invested to do it 'right' will be well spent.

HI Ned.

I have a couple questions. Excuse me if these have been answered in previous posts, but I am curious.

Don't you need to have this building anchored? If so how? If not why not?

How are you going to run electricity and heat out to the shop?

Thanks
joe

ps, I can sense your enthusiasm on this project!

HI Ned.

I have a couple questions. Excuse me if these have been answered in previous posts, but I am curious.

Don't you need to have this building anchored? If so how? If not why not?

How are you going to run electricity and heat out to the shop?

Thanks
joe

ps, I can sense your enthusiasm on this project!

Joe,
I'll rent a trencher and put a sub panel out in the shop. Heat... detail that I'm not too firm on yet, until I figure it out, kero heater and lots of layers of clothing. After that, Propane fired outside venting furnace when the budget allows. the building is technically a 'temporary' structure, so it will simply sit on the piers which will sit on grade. If it shifts/settles (edit, when...) I'll jack it up and level it out again. Time honored system around here, the codes guy didn't even blink when I said I was putting it on piers. Neighbor's HOUSE is on them, and it is about time (so he says) that it gets lifted.

Last edited:
Hi Ned.

this is interesting.

Your neighbor's house sets on piers? Is it anchored into the ground anyway?

also, back to your project! :)

you need heat!

any chance of a a concrete slab and a woodburner in your future? Even a woodburner outside with a pipe going inside?

Also, I would be interested in hearing about the inspectors comments about a temporary building that is hooked up to utilities.

What are your codes re: this issue.

thanks
Joe