I Did It The Old Fashion Way!

Paul Douglass

When I went to visit my Grandkids last month, in Calif, my Granddaughters boyfriend, took me to his father taxidermy shop, at my request for a tour. His dad gave us the grand tour and showed how things are done. I thought I'd give them a little gift for being so kind. I made bullet pens for the father, his two sons and my Grandson (didn't want my grandson to feel left out). The only advice I will give them is, my Grandson and the boyfriend had better not take them to school!

The pens are made of .270 cartridges, deer antler and Hornady 130 gr. bullets with the lead melted out.

It is more fun to make them this way than the kits, IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 27
Paul, they look the part seems a lot of work melting I understand solid bullets are available, was the finish Army ie do it yourself polish or coated cartridges.

Kind regards Peter.

Paul, they look the part seems a lot of work melting I understand solid bullets are available, was the finish Army ie do it yourself polish or coated cartridges.

Kind regards Peter.

Peter, I have done the bullets both ways. The solid one you have to drill a 3/32" hole to come out the point and a 1/8" from the back into the bullet to a certain depth for the pen cartridge can go in the correct depth. It's not real hard, but certainly takes more time and care. Melting the lead out is easy with a butane torch and you only have to drill the 1/8" hole in the back through a thin layer of copper and them I ream the point hole with a 3/32" bit just to clean out any lead that might have hung in there. It is very quick and easy.

Thanks for the nice comment.