Is a radial arm saw needed?

Welcome to the posting Family, Charles!

I've had an RAS in the past but was never totally satisfied with its accuracy. It seems that no matter how often I tweaked the fence, crosscuts drifted to something other than 90°. I'll take my table saw, miter saw and other tools over an RAS anytime.

First off, Welcome!

I'm in the I don't need it camp. As Ken says, it will depend on what you do and how you do it. I had one years ago but the footprint it takes up, for what it did for me, was out of balance. You must bear in mind that even my CMS has been out in the shed for the last several years. I did dig it out to do some trim work when LOML had her guest room and bath remodeled; when you need one, you need one. There will be just as many woodworkers out there who can't live without a RAS and that is not wrong . . . for them. I have also heard of people who get along with only one bandsaw :dunno:.

Thanks for the welcome, I have a Dewalt 9'' RAS it will be replace by a Delta goose Unisaw, Powermatic 66, or a USA made old arn contractor. I have a Dewalt miter saw but I bought it for trim carpentry.

I've got one and love it, but it's really not necessary. Plenty of options out there that's for sure.

I have my grandfathers old DeWalt 9" powershop RAS. I find I rarely use it, but, sometimes its the best option for the operation to be performed and its right there when I need it. I rarely if ever use a compound saw in my shop, its almost exclusively reserved for in the field. I cut most everything on the table saw. I have a sliding table attached to my cabinet saw and cut all my face frames, door parts, panel stock and sheet stock with it. Its extremely accurate and for the cost of a decent RAS you could add this accessory and get far more use out of it.