Less is More

Chas Jones

Trying out a few more ideas, some folks like a quieter presentation and I need to sort out easiest work holding patterns as patience is not a virtue that is improving with age.
DSCN4072M.JPGDSCN4070M.JPGDSCN4071M.JPG

Walnut & Oak, 158mm max dia.

Beautifully done and executed. Quick question, Do you know of any good online tutorials for turning a little box like that?

I need to make myself a new little salt cellar, and I'm thinking I'd like to give a segmented turning a try.

Thanks!

...Quick question, Do you know of any good online tutorials for turning a little box like that?

..Thanks!

There is an old WIP from a couple of years ago based on my earlier attempts Here

But a recent set of my posts on UKWorkshop Forum might be of more help.

Segment sizing is easily done using a calculator such as My Version Here

The rough glue-up for this piece is shown with the clamps.

Last edited:
Once again beautiful work Chas and real nice to see you around, thanks for posting and sharing the way to do it. Made a pdf of your instructions for later try out.

Its not inspiring to hear patience does not improve with age. :rofl: Here i have been telling myself that things will get better as you get older Rob, you will be able to trade impatience for pain and stiffness. Sounds like NOT. :eek:;)

This one actually looks like its something i could manage. I am fascinated by the way you refer to those clamps as Jubilee clamps.........in North America the term "Only in America" has been coined well i think in this case "Only in United Kingdom" should be the way to go. :D

Love the lid, the detail, and wood selection makes it a winner for me.

.....I am fascinated by the way you refer to those clamps as Jubilee clamps......

"Jubilee" is the most common brand available in old school UK, so just like 'Hoover' etc. band clamps of that pattern
get the name applied as a generic regardless of whether they are far eastern manufacture or not.
The only time actual brand comes into play is when the other junk fails to perform and you wish you had purchased genuine "Jubilee" in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Clip