A few new turning tool items I've picked up lately

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, First things first, I had taken apart my old grinder setup and never redid it. I figured I might as well start using my Grizzly slow speed grinder, so I ordered up a bunch of accessories for it.

I also ordered up some stuff so I could use the tormek jigs on my variable speed delta grinder.

The grizz works great, but sometimes you just need to take metal off at a faster pace.

The gouge jig, combined with the setup tool, makes quick work of resharpening things precisely the same way. I can use the setup tool on the 10" wheel, or 8" wheel, or 8" strop wheel just as effectively.

FWW-9783.jpgFWW-9788.jpg

I also ordered the extra little strops, meant for doing the inside parts of gouges and carving tools.

Only problem is, the tormek has a larger shaft, so you need an adapter to make it work in the grizzly grinder.

The tormek has M12x1.75 threads, and the Grizz has M8x1.25 threads. I tried to find an adapter somewhere online, but no luck.

No problem, just bought an M12x1.75 bolt at the borg, cut part of it off. I put that part in a drill chuck on my lathe, took the drill chuck out of my drill press, put a drill bit in that chuck, put it on the other end of the lathe. I put my lathe at the lowest speed I could and then used it to drill the hole in the middle of the bolt. After that it was a simple matter of just running a tap through it and bingo, a home made adapter. Works great!
FWW-9789.jpgFWW-9790.jpgFWW-9793.jpg

And Finally, since I figured I'd get some carbide tipped turning tools. These are actually pretty beefy and the handle really has a good heft and feel to it. I'm thinking of making up some handles for the other tools, just to avoid the hassle of having to swap them out. The whole set was about 205$ on ebay. I figure when the carbide tips get dull, I'll get some replacements from Easy Wood Tools, assuming they will fit. Vaughn assures me that the Easy Wood tool inserts are superior to the other run of the mill inserts generally used.

FWW-9784.jpg

Attachments

• routertop.jpg
    routertop.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Muuhhhhaaaa!!!! These are going to increase your Rockstar status! The Tormek alone is worth it's weight in gold! I find myself using carbide with more delicate turnings, like laser stuff...great for barrel trimming those too!

Great work on the thread adaptor. :clap:

Just to clarify, though, I was referring to the carbide cutters from Craig and Donna at Easy Wood Tools. For this type of tool, I've found nothing comparable. (Although Monster may possibly have some cool surprises on the carbide tool front in the future.) ;)

Great work on the thread adaptor. :clap:

Just to clarify, though, I was referring to the carbide cutters from Craig and Donna at Easy Wood Tools. For this type of tool, I've found nothing comparable. (Although Monster may possibly have some cool surprises on the carbide tool front in the future.) ;)

Sorry about that. I've corrected my post to reference Easy Wood tools. My bad... :eek:

Thanks Vaughn! Sorry about all that... I have not got much sleep this weekend. Been playing around with watching for the perseids too much...

I've got a couple of those tool rests Rob. They work nice.

I just wanted to be able to use the same tormek jigs on a regular grinder as well as my grizz. It really works well.

I found trying to 'reprofile' some of my gouges was taking forever on the grizz. But now I can put it on the delta dry grinder, get the profile relatively quickly, then move to the the grizz to fine tune and polish it up.

One of those felt wheels might be in my future if I ever wear out the strop on the grizz.

I have heard Tormek tools could be used on a Grizzley. I am wondering about the wheel dresser in particular, I really like the Tormek one if it will really work on my Grizzley. The other acessory is the planer blade sharpener, they both have a version in the same price range and this is something I am also interested in so whaterer would work best. Thanks, Jim.

The TT-50 wheel dresser definitely works on it. It's what I use.

I haven't used the grinder for sharpening plane blades.

I use a Veritas MKII sharpening guide and stone for regular wood chisels and plane blades.

When I bought my grinder, I kind of went hog wild and got a bunch of accessories. Still trying to figure out the best way to use them all.

But I'm kind of a sucker for sharpening tools/jigs.