Shop lights for the Putter Palace

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
When I had the big building, I put up 30 of these: I didn't get them all at one time. Just when there was a dark spot and I happened to get by Home Depot, well, you know how it is. I know I have 30 of them because this morning I dug them out and sorted through them.

clamp light.jpg

Had 27 watt (100 watt equivalent) CFL's in them in the daylight lumen range. Made things nice and bright.

A couple of weeks ago I saw this in Woodworkers Journal emagazine:

New-Shop-Lighting.jpg

That gave me an idea. I won't use the same materials, just the concept.

Let's see, I had 30 in a 24' x 36' building. Now I have an 8' x 24' trailer, 1/4 of the space. Wonder how many I should make? What what I should do with the left overs? LOL!

Stay tuned

Last edited:
In all seriousness, have you lost any ceiling height? You never know how far mishap wood will travel, especially not off a lathe. Or from a circular blade at about 3,000 rpm. There is a piece of mishap wood that took my several weeks to come across back in my old one car garage shop.

My point is, consider some sort of impact protection for those expensive mercury filled bulbs. Or just have one of us from here over when one breaks - we're pretty much already mad as hatters! :bonkers: :rofl:

I considered that, Mark. I plan to place a 'cove' of 1/2" hardware cloth around the fixture. Working on the Sketch-Up drawing for dimensions.