Staple guns

Rob Keeble

In the true sense of the words "if in doubt build it stout" I have never looked at any other staple gun other than the T50 heavy duty. And so i own one already.

On Sat when i needed to put back the foam and material cover and secure it on the "box spring contraption" I did not have mine with me, since i was not expecting to do a major job on a new item.

Well off to the depot thinking urg i hate consciously buying a duplicate of a tool i already have. Well i had to buy a heavier hammer but hey you can never have enough hammers right.

Well i found this stapler over where they hang the T50 its the light duty version of the same basic kind of manual stapler. The JT27 light duty stapler perfectly suited to upholstery staples and nice easy going operation not too heavy on the hands. I hemmed and hawed about whether it was going to get the staples to penetrate the pallet type wood which while looking like pine was not pine it was tough hard stuff. It takes the JT21 staples and they fit from below once you open the tray..(.found out after i tried it and it did not work and then read the instructions :eek::doh:)

But what a pleasure and a savior. Easy on the hands so much so that i thought got to let you guys know about it in case like me you have previously had a go doing upholstery type job using the T50.

I have a pneumatic upholstery gun but frankly this one was such a pleasure to use and easy on the hands i am not sure the pneumatic one would see the light of day after this given no attachments.

Bonus was it was light on the pocket too $12.97 so more appropriate for my need at the time money wise.

On a side i picked up a bundle of claw hammers two for $6 bucks and left the son with a new hammer for future use. Have since ferreted out a few tools which i will "pass down" to him on the next visit for him to have around should he need them. His care of those will determine what happens to the balance of mine when i pass one day. ;):D

Also had a 2x4 cut into 5 inch pieces to replace the tree branch pieces i referred to in my weekend post. :rolleyes:

I've been using this one for 25+ years, and it has served me well. Lot easier on my hands than the traditional configuration:

PowerShot Stapler

I have that one, too, and the darn thing jams on about every third staple. I've tried several sizes, and a couple different brands of staples, but it still jams. Frustrating... So I generally use a Stanley 'heavy-duty' instead. Much better stapler, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that one, too, and the damn thing jams on about every third staple. I've tried several sizes, and a couple different brands of staples, but it still jams. Frustrating... So I generally use a Stanley 'heavy-duty' instead. Much better stapler, IMO.

Jim and Vaughn I actually picked up the Powershot for your very reason Vaughn, but then once again put it back because of the mere thought of the point Jim made....was kinda one of those looks to good to be true things. I opted for the light duty instead. Now i have both. :)

How did I miss this thread?

This is one of my rare serious moments. If you own both a T50 style staple gun and a Powershot style staple gun (losing the serious) what you need to do is invite a friend over, actually, some random woodworking forum guy you're meeting for the first time, and when he is busy stapling insulation to the floor joists of your new shop you're building, hand him the other style gun when the first one runs out of staples. It saves time from reloading and all. Then, when he forgets that the action is completely backwards, you can enjoy the look of shock and horror :eek: on his face as he realizes he just put a 9/16" staple into the middle of his hand. If you're a nice guy, you will make sure that your wife is an EMT beforehand. Right Ned? :wave:

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, have I ever mentioned that Ned is a really nice guy?

He even had first aid supplies readily available and had his wife and another internet buddy do the same thing so I didn't feel so stupid. :rofl:

Well, I have an old Bosch that I bought at a yard sale for $5, like 35 years ago. I still love it when I need to staple something. I have an electric Craftsman my wife bought me many, many years ago and it has been pretty good. But I like the manual one better.

How did I miss this thread?

This is one of my rare serious moments. If you own both a T50 style staple gun and a Powershot style staple gun (losing the serious) what you need to do is invite a friend over, actually, some random woodworking forum guy you're meeting for the first time, and when he is busy stapling insulation to the floor joists of your new shop you're building, hand him the other style gun when the first one runs out of staples. It saves time from reloading and all. Then, when he forgets that the action is completely backwards, you can enjoy the look of shock and horror :eek: on his face as he realizes he just put a 9/16" staple into the middle of his hand. If you're a nice guy, you will make sure that your wife is an EMT beforehand. Right Ned? :wave:

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, have I ever mentioned that Ned is a really nice guy?

He even had first aid supplies readily available and had his wife and another internet buddy do the same thing so I didn't feel so stupid. :rofl:

Riiiiight Mark, I intentionally set All of that up just to see the shocked look on your face that evening... :eek:.

he is spot on though, I am a really nice guy after all. And yes for the record, both Lori and our friend Sean also stapled their hand with the Powershot.

i have used one of those style staplers this year alot and they are much nicer to use over the old t50 stlye staplers,, havnt seen a stanley yet but dolike the ease of loading and use of the other style

Riiiiight Mark, I intentionally set All of that up just to see the shocked look on your face that evening... :eek:.

he is spot on though, I am a really nice guy after all. And yes for the record, both Lori and our friend Sean also stapled their hand with the Powershot.

Can't a guy take one little bit of dramatic license when telling a safety story? :)