Debating on getting a benchtop sander... Ridgid or Grizzly or...?

Disc sanders are easy / cheap to make. I built one with an old 1/2 hp motor, any pulley that will fit the shaft (this will be the flange connecting the disc to the motor shaft), a scrap of birch plywood, and a couple of bits from the scrap wood box.
1) Mount the pulley on the shaft,
2) turn the motor on and dress the face of the pulley with file or bit of carbide,
3) drill & tap 3 or 4 holes in the pulley and mount the birch plywood (cut to a disc) to the dressed face of the pulley using counter sunk machine screws,
4) turn the motor back on and dress the plywood disc into a perfect circle,
5) build a quick base and sanding table with the scraps, (mine's just a flat piece of plywood to mount the motor on with a square block of wood on it at one end that acts as the sanding table)
6) mount the motor to the base,
7) apply the sand paper,
8) make dust.

With a scrap of sheet metal (i used a #10 can) and a hose mount, it's easy to rig up dust collection as well.
All in, it cost me about $25 (assuming $15 for the used motor and $10 worth of other bits), and a short afternoon.
It's not a beauty contestant, but it works perfectly - has for years.

Last edited:
Ned, did you make a decision yet?

If not I'll weigh in with my opinion. I have the Ridgid spindle belt sander, a Rikon 6" belt / 10" disc sander, and a Delta shop master 4" belt/ 6" disc sander.

Paul,
I may have a spare motor somewhere, but I know my 'abilities', and while I've made a fair number of jigs in the past, I think in this case, I'll stick with commercial units.

Sean,
Yes, I'm going to get the Ridgid spindle/belt unit. Eventually... fall is here and I have an insulation project to do if I want to do any woodworking (if I ever have time again...) over the next 6 to 7 months.

Personally I think you should consider Vaughn's suggestion. Along with the lathe disk sander. You can also build a jig to mount your hand held belt sander on it's side with a table in front of the belt all out of scrape. I just saw my jig like this the other day in storage. I still used it even though I have both of these tools. These suggestions are in keeping with the idea that you have a small shop & the cost is some what less & they will do the job just as well. Also you can hang these jigs on the wall when not in use.

Attachments

• G1014Z.jpg
    G1014Z.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 7
  • tn_A1 myshop 027.jpg
    tn_A1 myshop 027.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: