I just had eye surgery

Frank Fusco

Second attempt. First post vanished. :eek:
OK, I just returned from Little Rock, Arkansas where I had cataract surgery this week at the VA hospital there.
I know this subject comes up occasionally but I post again to assure any who may be hesitant about having the procedure if your doctor has reccomended it there is really nothing to fear. The procedure itself is a snap. You are awake and it is even kinda interesting. The usual pre and post-op thing is the ususal hassle but nothing to fear.
With my new lens my distant vision is now perfect and beautiful. :thumb:
I have had no discomfort at all. For those still hesitant, I'll repeat I HAVE HAD NO DISCOMFORT OR PAIN AT ALL, AS IN NONE :D :D .
And, as you can see in the picture, I came out of surgery just every soooo purty......;)
Frank eye copy.jpg

Glad to hear everything went smoothly, Frank. :thumb:

Cataract?

I thought you were a MOPAR man? :rofl: ...

OK, that made me laugh out loud. :D

A cat a rack:

cat3_1700339a.jpg
400px-A_Torture_Rack.jpg

1) You cannot possibly be that old (or you had your avatar pic taken when you were a child).

2) Pretty good planning. Most optical errors are cancelled out with cataract surgery. The power of the IOL (Inserted Optical Lens) is offset by the amount of near or farsightedness that you had pre-surgery. The astigmatism can be somewhat offset by the type of cataract surgery---or it could have been way back when I was involved in cataract surgery. I'm 20 years out of date on that subject now.

The bad news is that you will still need glasses for near after the surgery, unless you do something like the Crystal lens.

Enjoy,
JimB

Two very different things. Lasik reshapes the eyeball so it can focus better. Cataract surgery replaces the clouded natural lens with an artificial mono focal lens, so you can see better, albeit in one range.

In my not so humble experience, poor vision was first improved by cleaning my glasses! Then it was getting a new eye glass prescription, and cleaning my new glasses. Then there was cataract surgery with new glasses, and cleaning my glasses. I think there is a trend here.

Another vote for getting lens replacement done, if you need it. I had both eyes done in September, 2012, two weeks apart. There was no issue at all with the cataract surgery, but having better vision showed some problems with the retina in my right eye, so we've been working on those.

All I know is everyone I know who had cataract surgery wore glasses all their lives before and have never wore them since. ...

That depends on what type of lens is chosen. My eye doctor said the usual lens that's used doesn't do anything other than clear the vision. There's another type that costs a lot more that can be used to correct vision as well as the cataracts.

Since Medicare paying for this was also mentioned, my understanding (and I just had this procedure done on both eyes) is that you can choose a mono vision lens for both eyes, or a distant lens for one eye and a near lens for the other. My brain is already scrambled. I decided I didn't need to muddy the waters any further. Besides, I've worn glasses my entire life, so what a few years more? No spring chicken no mo'. :rofl:

Looking good Frank... LOML had cataract surgery a few years back... almost perfect vision for distance, but needs reading glasses for up close.... I'm not having any cataract problems, but was near sighted years...started wearing glasses right after I got out of the navy in '64... mostly for driving and seeing into the distance... I could see up close very well... now suddenly, it's all reversing... I can see in the distance well and need reading glasses for up close.

Since Medicare paying for this was also mentioned, my understanding (and I just had this procedure done on both eyes) is that you can choose a mono vision lens for both eyes, or a distant lens for one eye and a near lens for the other. My brain is already scrambled. I decided I didn't need to muddy the waters any further. Besides, I've worn glasses my entire life, so what a few years more? No spring chicken no mo'. :rofl:

The mono vision thing does not work well for everyone. What it is, is one eye sees near the other sees distant. What reaches the brain looks good at all distances. But, in fact, some folks have to consciously switch sides to see well. That is what I am doing right now until I get new prescription glasses which, in my case, will correct for near vision. My distant lens (I'll get bifocals) will be practically no correction.