Time for a new overdrive pedal...

Jason Beam

Well since the acquisition of my Vox AC15C1, I pulled out all my other gear that i'd stored away while i rearranged my side of the office. Plugged in my Vox wah pedal and it sounded good. The Ibanez reverb sounds nice, too.

But my DOD overdrive ... well it sounds fine ... but it won't shut off!!! No matter how many times i kick the dang thing!

Opened it up and the stupid thing's got one of those piddly little surface mount micro switches on the board and a foam plunger from the pedal pad itself. With it apart, i plugged everything in and confirmed the switch itself isn't turning off the amp - so it's not some weird physical thing as a result of the goofy mechanical design. Plus, I'm not that fond of it so i'm not terribly inclined to try to fix it...

But now i need a good overdrive pedal (not a distortion pedal, though). As a blues nut, with a killer clean tone on the amp, what would you guys recommend for a good overdrive pedal?

I plan to seek out a bunch and play through them all on my amp and see which one i like... but i'd love to get some of our musical experts' opinions to help thin the massive herd of pedals out there :)

I do almost everything through 'Guitar Rig Pro' on the computer. I've never even really had that many pedals, but I've always wanted something....

Keep us posted!

Brent - for sure! You tossed around a clip on tuner at BW - you wouldn't happen to know if that thing can do tunings other than standard E, can it? If so, what model! I'm lookin' for a clip-on tuner, too :D

Not sure if it's classified as distortion or OD...but my TS 9 is amazing. Have the Keeley mod/blue light...great old school for blues.

I used (and loved) a Boss OD-1 back when I was using stomp boxes. I'm pretty out of touch with what's hot or not on the market these days. (My POD XT has several different OD and distortion models in it, but I don't really pay attention to the names of the ones I'm using. I just fiddle around until i get a sound I like.)

My buddy Tim Pierce has a blurb about this overdrive unit on his site. Tim is the consummate gearhead (and probably the busiest studio guitarist in LA, with something like 30,000 recordings to his credit). If he likes it, it's worth checking out:

http://www.timpierceguitar.com/home/gear-news-section/carl-martin-tod/