Smashed taters

Jim Burr

We do these all the time with little red potatoes...like tonight! Small red potatoes, no more than 2" diameter. We toss them in the MW for about 3 minutes...basically cooked, but adjust to you doneness. Let them cool cuz those little suckers are hot!! Now here is the fun part...hit it with a spritz of cooking spray, grab a drinking glass and squish it!! About 1/2-3/4" is yummy. Oven to 400* and rack about 5" front the upper element. Season with salt, pepper and we like some Bam!(Emeril's seasoning...don't leave home without it!). Drizzle of EVOO and some cheese of your choice. Times vary but usually 10 minutes is swell...cheese melt and a tad toasted is a good sign. If you need an extra on the plate...these are great. Not a big filler unless you go for 2 or 3, but really tasty! Grub up!!

I love those little red potatoes, my wife usually cooks them in a pan in oil, sprinkled with seasoning and salt and all that bad stuff.

Ill show her this, even though Im really not supposed to eat this stuff.

Good call. I should have thought of that. We've made smashed potatoes, but I always cooked them in the oven, then smashed, then grilled them till crispy.

When we do baked potatoes, I microwave them till cooked, then put them into the oven to crisp. Can't believe I never thought about microwaving the small taters.

Yep - gotta try those sometime!

My problem is that LOML and the neighbors want GARLIC smashed taters like I make them. Nothing to it, but to do it! Five pounds of russet potatoes cut to 1" to 1.5" square - add salt and garlic powder to the water to boil them - when softened, drain in a colander - add a stick of real, unsalted butter to the cooking pan while still hot along with a half cup of milk - dump the taters back into the pan and add about a quarter cup of minced garlic - mash and add more milk to get the consistency you like. Yum!

Yummy Bill!! You know what I want to see, not a hijack...We used to make fried potato pancakes. Left over mashed potatoes and whatever mom put in. Saturday morning with sausage and waffles...happy beats cholesterol any day!