Fire Season

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
View from our house this morning.
IMG_20130821_080541.jpg

We're getting some blow over smoke from the Blackburn Fire http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3662/
Usually by mid morning/early afternoon the normal winds push the smoke back over the hill. Not bad in the house (yaaah air conditioning) but at work (where we apparently have less effective filters) it smells half way between an ashtray and a stale BBQ pit.

The fire is still about 4 miles from the house so not to concerning for us yet, but at least three others have lost their homes and a bunch of others are threatened.

This is still a pretty small fire compared to some of the others around the country.

If you're in an at risk area its worth taking a little time to do what you can to mitigate your risk, I thought the Colorado State Extension's guidelines covered it pretty well:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06304.html

I know the feeling all too well, Ryan. Stay safe and breathe shallow. ;)

A couple of blocks down the street from my house a few years ago...

Station%20Fire%20-%2043%20800.jpg

From my driveway the next day. Note the color of the smoky sky.

Station%20Fire%20-%2028%20800.jpg

I signed in and you are the first one I have replied to today. When I went to reply the "Reply to Thread" button was missing so I signed in AGAIN!!!
Sorry about that, but it bugs me.

I would do a rain dance and rain song for you to make the fire go out. However, the rain gods cannot stand my singing and would probably send high, dry winds instead.
I will keep you in my mind with good thoughts.

Let's hope that you keep on Enjoying,
JimB

Here's hoping they get a handle on it Ryan.

I've actually been working on emergency preperations lately. Getting my go bag ready is becoming a priority.

A couple of blocks down the street from my house a few years ago...

Dang that was no fooling way to close!

I've actually been working on emergency preperations lately. Getting my go bag ready is becoming a priority.

Its looking pretty good for our side, there are a whole lot of houses between us and the fire so it would be a pretty bad situation before we were at risk. Still kinda feels like a bit of a war zone with the water drop choppers flying overhead all day. I feel bad for the fighters, the whole area they're in is infested with rattlesnakes and poison ivy in pretty rough terrain so its about as nasty of a place to fight as fire as you could never hope to be in.

A go bag is a really smart idea - we've sort of let ours lapse and need to get it back together!!
We're also planning on doing a fresh inventory of belongings with pictures this weekend.

Let me know if you need any "fun" medical stuff. I can do surgery out of my first aid kit. Have 4-5 extra MRE's if you're interested. If we had to bug, the big bag has us covered for 2 weeks...4 days for the little one.