Done got me a bubba truck!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Truck.jpg

2002 Ford F250 Super Duty with 7.3 diesel. One haulin' mama! Pretty good shape for an 11 year old truck with 169,000 miles on it. Friend with a Ford background says it looks like the 1 ton running gear. A few issues but they each will be addressed in turn. Nothing really major. Biggest pain will be find a spare for it. Those are heavy duty 8 lug wheels. Vinyl bench seat is coming out in favor of cloth bucket seats. Will get running boards. I need a ladder to get in it! Regular cab is a greenhouse in this sun. Getting tinted windows on Friday. Found in CA in Laguna Hills. Happy with the mileage - 3/8 of a tank (~12-13 gallons) for 266 miles. Clean but smells like an ashtray. Total Fabreeze soaking, new seats, and shampooing everything else and all will be better.

And yeah, that was quick! My boss must have a plan here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Congrats, Carol. Looks like a great truck. Now that you're gonna be a truck driving mama, you'll need a CB handle. :D

Nice looking truck. :thumb:

My brother down the street from me has one about that year, but with the V10. Has only 15,000 miles on it. He bought it to pull their fifth wheel, then they found a park that they like where the park pulls it out of storage for him, sets it up, and puts it back away after they leave, so he hardly gets the truck out of the garage.

I'm glad the truck is going to work out for you! Looks great ( =

As to the tint, I was just at the tint shop today for my girlfriends newly acquired car. They have a tint that is getting popular that has a ceramic in it. From the charts and a 'lamp heat test' that I did-it cuts about twice the heat of the typical tint, at the same light blockage. Apparently they even have a clear one you can get for the windshield to help with heat there, but not hinder visibility. For her 4 door car, the price was $209 for standard, and $329 for the ceramic-not really that much more for temperature benefits. I'm tempted to have mine ripped off, and get that stuff on there!

Carol,

The big deal with the running gear is full floating rear hubs or not. Once all three-quarter ton trucks had full floating hubs and you could load them to ridiculous weights. I made the mistake of stacking cast iron heads off of engines in mine when I was cleaning up after first getting my salvage yard. Noticed that the truck was sitting level with one row just over truck rail high behind the cab and another row about three-fourths full behind it. Went on and stacked the second row level with the side of the bed, the heads all turned and twisted and stacked as tight as possible. When I drove across town to the scrap yard I found out the tare weight, just the heads, was over twelve thousand pounds! Oops! The truck handled it with no problems though. That is the kind of thing that burns up the rear ends without free floating hubs and bends their axles though. Looking at the picture it does appear you have the full floating rear hubs. That is indeed the same rear end used in the one ton single rear wheel trucks and basically the same rear end used in all one tons. I hauled ten thousand pounds or more of refractory material(basically concrete mix) on a one ton many a time.

Looks like you got a good one and it should just be getting broken in good. I put over 275,000 on my three-quarter ton before it was stolen and over 350,000 on my one ton before I sold it to a house trailer mover who put a bunch more miles on it!

Have the front end checked out, the diesel is hard on them. Then regular maintenance and you should have a lifetime truck. Nice find!

Hu

That is a good looking truck... I have a 2003 F150 with Super Duty, gas engine that we got last year...it had 116K miles when we got it.... more than enough power for the hills here in East Tennessee... I don't do much towing, most I do with it is haul garbage to dumps, dirt for the yard, and my booth and inventory to shows.... mine has the extend cab with fold down passenger seats.... really like the extra space. Compared to my little Ranger I had before it's HUGE and even a year after we got it, I'm still getting used to the size of it.... I drove the Ranger for about 8 years and plan on this one outlasting me... mine was really clean when we got it, but my son that's actually paying for the truck, (He's a long haul trucker and just keeps the truck here for when he's home and lets us use it) smokes and after he's used the truck it has the stale ashtray smell... thank goodness for Fabreeze.

Thanks, guys, been a bunch of years since the last truck - a F150, which I loved.
@Vaughn - no CB and don't plan to use it enough to need one. This is my be sure to start it once a month truck. But when I need it, I will NEED it. Like when I need to address an intimidation factor in certain traffic - if ya know what I mean. Maybe an air horn...
@Justin - the tint place offered the windshield tint but not the other. I passed on the windshield for now. The others have to pass Arizona requirements, but I'll asked anyway.
@Hu - thanks for the heads up on the front end. I'll look into it.
@Dave - gun rack right after I find the right mud flaps. :rolleyes:

All in all, parishioners will need to get used to the motorcycle, muscle truck, and big motorhome. That ought to bust some preconceived notions. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Dave - gun rack right after I find the right mud flaps. :rolleyes:

Mudflaps! Why didn't you say so? We can help there...

Here's a Bubba mudflap, you might want to photoshop it a bit:
Semi%20Mud%20Flaps.jpg

Or maybe something like this:
290063d1357908352-best-mud-flap-yet-img_1620_zpsdef3eba2.jpg

But that might be a bit much.

You know, when you search for mudflaps, you get umpteen bazillion hits with that silly barbie girl silhouette. But this might catch a few by surprise...
mudflapgirl.png

Mudflaps! Why didn't you say so? We can help there...

You know, when you search for mudflaps, you get umpteen bazillion hits with that silly barbie girl silhouette. But this might catch a few by surprise...
mudflapgirl.png

I like the schoolgirl mudflap. Maybe we should start a thread to "help" Carol deck out her new toy! I kinda think maybe the original bubba on the flaps, Huck Finn complete with straw hat and fishing pole between his toes as he is laid back on the creek bank. Maybe the ultimate bubba, Hillbilly Bear? Saw a 250 or 350 headed at me the other day with a front bumper/brush guard/winch mount that weighed about as much as the diesel, might be a consideration. That would be a huge intimidation factor all in black. Harbor Fright has been offering a great deal on 12,000 pound winches too, just the thing for loading log sections and oversized wood blanks.

We need to give some consideration to a hood ornament. Enough talent here somebody should be able to make her a doozy and nothing quite says "Bubba" like the right hood ornament. Bought a ten wheeler from a farm and it came with a chrome horse hood ornament already installed. My wife took the first trip with me. When she realized she was going to be viewing at least one horse's rear for the next fifteen hundred miles she decided the horse needed a name. For some reason she selected Moonie!

Let's see, find the right tires and rims for the truck and then she will have four spares . . .

I wonder how much of our help she can stand? :D

Hu