Some help from those more mechanically inclined than me

Chuck Ellis

Some background on my problem.....I have a 5 or 6 year old JET 1442 with the Reeves speed unit. Day before yesterday I put a bowl blank on the lathe and started it up... I had set the speed at the lowest, 450 rpm, but when I turned on the switch it seemed awfully fast for 450... I reached over and turned the speed lever down thinking I had not got in the right stop for 450.... the lever turned past the bottom stop and the speed looked and felt more in line with 450 rpm, but when I let go the lever traveled back up and settled in the notch for 450 rpm, but was again running much faster than I wanted for the size bowl I was starting.

I stopped the lathe, removed the bowl blank and removed the belt cover.... the belt seemed to be just where it should be on the motor pulleys, but not where it should be on the drive pulleys.. it seemed to be about 1/2 plus/minus below the top of the pulleys.... I again turned the speed down past the stop and watched the belt climb up on the bigger drive pulleys to near the top of the top of the pulleys.... so I know the speed is off.

A few months ago I had noted that a keeper E-ring had somehow gotten slightly crooked and out of the normal groove it's suppose to be in and had scored the headstock shaft pretty badly.... I have replaced the shaft, all the bearings and the pulleys (one of them had the keeper key slot wallowed out and it let the pulley shift slightly and not mesh with it's mate... ) while I had it apart, I also saw that the banjo that slides over the shaft with the center bearing was slipping on rod that travels against the shift lever... the book calls it a rack....the rack actually slipped back and was hitting the sliding pulley and had knocked off the vanes of the old pulley.

I pulled the rack out and put a hardened bolt in place of the hex head that was there and don't see any slippage now... I now thinking when I put the rack back in place, I either pushed it too far in before I engaged the worm drive on the shift lever, or didn't go far enough.... I'm out of warranty, so will have to fix this myself if I can.

Does anyone have experience with replacing this piece in the headstock or adjusting so I can get the slower speed to lock in.... I really hate starting a 11 or 12 inch bowl at 600 rpm... I've already been gob-smacked with a 10" bowl and really don't want to go for a re-match.

I'm really not familiar with the inner workings of that lathe, Chuck, so I'm not really following your description. Can you get any pics of the parts in question?

I'm really not familiar with the inner workings of that lathe, Chuck, so I'm not really following your description. Can you get any pics of the parts in question?

Not much room to get a camera in the housing... but we got it fixed yesterday... don't know for sure what we did right/wrong.... we pulled all the guts out of the headstock, pulled the rack out, put it back in (a couple of times)... it works like it's supposed to now....

BUT
just as I was closing down tonight, I was backing the tailstock quill out of my Woodcut bowl saver and the hand wheel came away in my hand... it has 3 spokes on the wheel which is cast metal... all three of the spokes broke, so now I can't advance or retract the tailstock quill.... calling JET Monday... maybe they will feel sorry for me and replace it... I'm out of warranty as of March... if they don't feel sorry for me, the part only costs $22 + shipping.

Last edited: