What kind of Router do you use?

Routers..

I have two PC 890 series. One in the van, one in the basement. I love these.
1 PC 7518 mounted to the ext. wing of my table saw.

1 Bosch colt (w/ multi bases) in the basement
1 Bosch colt single base in the van. I think these are great..

A Ryobi that I haven't looked at, it was given to me from a friend
and and old craftsman that I use a wedge in the trigger to get it to work.. (I don't really use it anymore)

-George

I've got three routers. One ids the Hitachi M12, which is in my router table. The other two are for hand held routing. They are Makita 3Hp and 1.5 Hp but I can't recall the model number right now. All three are plunge variable speed. I particularily like the Makitas as they have nice ergo handles, excellent plunges and all around good quality parts. The Hitachi on the other hand is a good all round router but it does lack in the quality department with plastic handles and shrouding. I guess that is why the Hitachi was about a 150.00 less then the Makita.

I have never had a router with a D handle base. Are they easier to work with than ones with 2 regular handles? Or are they better for certain types of tasks? :huh:

I would think that you would have better control using 2 hands as opposed to just one.....

sean, all of my 690 routers have "d" handles, they`re by far the most comfortable for me....tod

I've written an Epinions review on each of the routers I've owned...see the links for details if you're interested. I really haven't owned one I didn't like, but each had their pros and cons. I'm extremely fond of the above table features on my current FT1700 router in the table. I liked the BodyGrip design of the 5615 for handwork, but the 5616 offers VS. Even that little $40 Craftsman has a bunch of features that I wish my more prestigious routers had...like a flat bottom, on board wrench storage, light, switch on the handle, and collet lock switch.

MW5625
FT1700
$40 Craftsman
FT2000E
MW5615BodyGrip

Three Bosch's - 1619 (killer), 1613 (gets lots of use, also goes in the field, versatile) plungers and another fixed based 2hp that collects alot of dust.

Three P/C's - 7518 in the table (it just works like it is supposed to), 690 D-handle (gets as much use as the 1613, comfortable), trim router (also gets alot of use, and for many tasks not usually associated with a router)

30+ year old Craftsman that is worth keeping, though it doesn't see much action. And a Ryobi trim router (never gets used)

Scott,

I can't believe that you sold your 5615 unless you were going to buy a 5616. I know how it is though.

You are correct though about the 5625 switch and speed control location when mounted in a table. I should have listed that as a con. I guess that the reason that I did not remember about the off/on switch is that I use a knee activated switch on the outside of the table so it is no problem for me. The speed control is located in a bad spot in that you are not able to see it without a mirror so I have to feel for it and listen for the correct speed.

Sam,

Good to see you! I forgot that I have a Ryobi trim router also. I just remembered since you brought it up. As far as I am concerned that thing does not even make a good paper weight. It is in a box somewhere.

Last edited:
Sean;
Good Question. I have two routers. A very old Craftsman, it's got pretty good power, and just keeps running. But the 1/4" collet drives me crazy. It's in a small metal Sears table a friend gave me.
I also have a PC 890 set. The fixed base is in a cast iron table saw extension. The motor is in the plunge base. I've been thinking of getting another PC 890 from a tempting add on Craig's List.
Then again, I might get more HP in a Hitachi, or Bosch. Over in the Router Forum, they rave about them both.
Good Luck, Mike

I have three routers, an old Craftsman in a metal bench top table, used that router for years.
Last year bought a plunge router, Fire something, can't remember or go to it right now.
Just bought a couple of months ago a Skil router and a nice router table, Woodsizer or something (names I don't worry about much obviously, just as long as it meets my needs and financial abilities). Mounted the Skil in the new router table and one unexpected very useful feature is the one lever, one button release of the motor from base so changing of blades can be done on top of the table. I have a very bad back and the bending to change bits wasn't something I was looking forward to.

I got the shaft by Sears

I've heard good things about the DeWalt 600 series of routers, and when I went to Sears yesterday, I found one I had seen before at the clearance corner. I checked it out and I could find no damage except some on the case... I thought...hmmm I've always wanted to try a DW618 variable speed router, fixed and plunge base. I've heard the plunge base is one of the better ones. There were a couple other guys eyeing me, so I took the case to the register and asked the price... The kid said the router had just come in and hadn't been priced yet. I knew that wasn't true so I pushed, and kid finally called a manager. He said, with a smile...25% OFF! I asked if that was all? He thought it was a great deal.:huh: I picked it up to take it back and the manager saw the damage to the top of the case... Oh, it's damaged, so 50% OFF! OK, I took the bait, asked the $ price.. and handed the kid my card. I put it in my car and finished my grocery shopping at another store nearby. When I got home, I discovered how I got taken advantage of...

The base was a 6184, but the router itself was not a DW618...but a DW616!:eek: 1 3/4hp, single speed! :( Crap...how could I have missed this! So, I got the shaft by Sears for this piece of junk, even with dual bases, but a damaged case, for the outrageous price of ....$105! Should I take it back and demand a refund? :dunno:

:doh:

Greg,

I have watched the 616s and 618s for a while. If you do not need the extra hp of the 618 I think that is a great deal. Both of my routers with 1 3/4 hp I always run at full speed anyway so for me I do not need a variable speed. Pricegrabber is showing the best price for the dual base 616 at $197 and the 618 at $235. Even a remanufactured one will run more than that (ToolKing wants $109.99 plus $7.99 shipping for a reconditioned 616 two base and is out of them). If it is new I would say keep it.

Another thought is if you would be happy with the Ridgid two base router Homedepot has them on sale now for $164 plus tax. I think that they are 2 1/4 hp. Everyone that I have seen report on this one has been very happy with it. I almost picked one up myself but I just ordered a PC 7539 so I have blown my router money for a while and I have a DeWalt 621 anyway so I can not justify it except for just wanting it.

Last edited:
Alan,

I guess I should added at the bottom, my comments were a bit "tongue in cheek". I did mistake the 616 for a 618, but I'm very happy with the DW616. The $105 is 50% off, and the router and bases are all new. They hade been taken out of the case, looked at, and put back wrong, so they looked jumbled, and the case wouldn't close. It looks like something just caught the outside of the case and damaged it, but the inside on the same spot is perfect. With the units in their proper places, the case closes normally. The wrenches and spare collet were still in the plastic, and the bit alignment tool and manual were there as well. Amazon has the same set for $198. The edge guide for my Bosch also fits the DW. All in all, I'm pretty happy and hope to use it soon.

I sold my like new PC690, with fixed and plunge bases and case, to my neighbor for the same price I paid for the DW. Right now, he has just an old small B & D in a table and struggles with it. He has done favors for me in the past, and the 690 should serve him well.

here's my router

zero HP. One middle aged MP.

And for the tailed jobs, a Milwaukee 5615, and a Hitachi TR12.

Ken

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 11
Scott,

I can't believe that you sold your 5615 unless you were going to buy a 5616. I know how it is though.

I liked the 5615 alot but sold it and my FT2000 to make room for the 5625 and FT1700, which I also like alot. The price on both was too good to pass up but too much to sneak in under the accountant's radar! ...although both new routers were the same color scheme as two of the old routers ! :D ...if not for the $200 CC bill, I could have prolly gotten away with it! :huh: :dunno: ;)

What kind of Router(s) do you use?
Mil 5615 and 5625 bought at different times, just coincidence.
Bosch Colt
Various others but nothing significant.
--What do you like about it?
5615 - Molded hand grip and strap style body.
5625 - POWER, consistent speed under load, great VS
Colt - power to weight ratio, quiet and smooth, motor lock is very easy and reliable.
--What do you dislike about it?
5615 - Small on/off switch, no DC.
5625 - Same small switch but it's in the table so - non issue. The collet is too short for above the table bit changes without a lift (which is on my short list), takes a long time for the motor to stop spinning. All of these things are a stretch; I love this router!
Colt - Micro adjust jumps to coarse adjust mode too easily, base plate is better than most but typically mediocre (replace). It scares me that they actually tell you to stick your fingers in those little grooves on the top of the base plate to stabilize this baby.

Last edited:
Table mounted: Triton 2.25 hp

Hand held: Festool 1400

I submit that each of these these is the best router for the specifc use.

frank,
why would you think that these routers are the best? i agree that festool apparently makes good tools,(i don`t own any) but triton is fairly new in the market and at least here in the sticks neither of these brands are seen in professional shops. is it possible that these two routers "best" suited your needs, and may not actually be "best" for the specific use?....tod

Last edited by a moderator:
frank,
why would you think that these routers are the best? i agree that festool apparently makes good tools,(i don`t own any) but triton is fairly new in the market and at least here in the sticks neither of these brands are seen in professional shops. is it possible that these two routers "best" suited your needs, and may not actually be "best" for the specific use?....tod
Tod, I say best primarily becAUse of the design features and inovations that both routers provide.

It is, perhaps, correct that the Triton will not stand heavy industrial use, but the Festool certainly will.

Last edited: