"Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This

Paul Douglass

Not sure where to put this, couldn't find a "Here's Your Sign" forum.

Been working a week off and on on sound hole cover I want to put on an ukulele. Got to the point I only had a couple more hours of sanding and decided I had better route the groove on the bottom side that will fit into the hole. Then I would know how far I could sand the ring. Set up the router and made the groove........ only problem, I made it on the wrong side!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang::bang::bang::tantrum::pullhair::(:eek:

Already started over.... The second one will go faster!

Attachments

• IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 74
I can only imagine all the new languages you invented when you realized that oops.. Boy do I feel your pain.
That is some beautiful work I hope you can find another use for it in another project.

You know, I really didn't get too upset. Guess that is part of getting older and loving doing this kind of work. I kinda laughed at myself, and thought oh well, start over. I will keep this one and use it on some other build, mounting it from the bottom. Won't look like I want it to on this particular one. I may drill a little hole in the top, put a string in it and wear it around my neck as a reminder to put the "stupid" sign away.

Paul, you have just started a new craze: Floral Turtles! Make more - sell 'em - reap the rewards of your mistake! Nice piece of work!

I'm just glad I've never made the mistake of cutting something on the wrong side... :whistling:

What it was supposed to look like:

DAMHIKT1%20-%20800.jpg

And what I cut on the other end of the boards:

DAMHIKT2%20-%20800.jpg

And I've got other examples that I'm just too lazy to dig up right now. ;)

This one time at shop camp..... I built a set of cedar framed screens for a clients screen porch. They then had bronze screens installed. Got them delivered to the site only to find out that I forgot to "burn the inch" when I was measuring and made them all an inch too big..... uhm.. yeah.... needless to say the foreman was a little miffed and I got to stand their with scratching my head in front of all my peers and the clients.....

Why do you think we have pen blank swaps? So we can chop up our mistakes and ship them off to someone else's shop in Ncase they are cursed. :rofl:

Of course, with your piece so thin, maybe you could start getting people to make tablet styluses?

Well I got it routed correctly this time. Even got it to fit snuggly in the hole! I have a lot more sanding and shaping on the turtle, but I saving that. I am leaving for 2 weeks at the Oregon coast Monday and that will give me plenty of time to sand and file on Mr. Turtle. This is what it looks like so far.

Having fun..

IMG_1722 500.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 6