My new mower

Well, have been using this mower set up for over a month, oldest daughter Fina emailed me some pictures she took with her phone when pulling up the drive one day.

Mowing the cow pasture weeds. Don't like a sickle mower for this as I want to chop the weeds up so they don't lay on top of the grass and kill it.
mail-5.jpeg

Mows about 80", current configuration is leaving a half mown swatch. So am going to "remodel" these two mowers.
mail-4.jpeg

Here we are a little closer. Fannie and Mae, Norwegian Fjords. On a forecart pulling two Shisher rough cut trail mowers. 8 acres used to take about 14 gallons of gas. With this setup, a little over 3 gallons of gas.
mail.jpeg

Here you can see the setup a little better. Am going to take the inside wheels and brackets off and "marry" the two mowers together to make them one solid mower and so I can have the key and lever for the second mower at hand. I bought a seat at TSC as my old butt didn't like the cast iron seat that came with my cart.
mail-1.jpeg

I remember someone wanting info on a new mower, well I tell you, this is quite the mowing crew! With the tractor it took me about 4 hours. This way is about 6 hours. This team seems to be walking right around 6 mph, to do a good job the mowers have to be kept under 5 mph so I have to talk to them and hold them back some. With the sickle mower (for hay) they step right out and cut it like hot butter! Hope you enjoy the pictures. This is one of the many projects that has kept me away and busy this summer.

Larger pictures on 2nd page thanks to Vaughn.

Last edited:
Right on.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. The time difference isn't all that bad, to bad you still have to have the mower motors running :D My small experience with Fjords is that they are pretty steppy so I'm not surprised you have to rein them in a little. Easier than trying to get some old lunk head up to speed as the alternative anyway.

That's a nice looking setup Jon. The offset would make it good for cornering. How does it work on the first (or last) pass or two, where I presume you have to go around the other way? Is your team nimble enough to back it in and tidy up the corners?
Thanks for the pics!

Right on.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. The time difference isn't all that bad, to bad you still have to have the mower motors running :D My small experience with Fjords is that they are pretty steppy so I'm not surprised you have to rein them in a little. Easier than trying to get some old lunk head up to speed as the alternative anyway.

Yeah, rotary mowing does have some advantages at times. Will put up with those smaller engines. Next summer plan on playing with the exhaust and mufflers though and see how quiet I can get them. They (the ponies) are movers for sure. And I would agree 100%, it is a lot easier holding them back a little than trying to keep one walking!

That's a nice looking setup Jon. The offset would make it good for cornering. How does it work on the first (or last) pass or two, where I presume you have to go around the other way? Is your team nimble enough to back it in and tidy up the corners?
Thanks for the pics!

Cannot back that rig more than 5'. The back mower hooks to the front mower on the side, the front mower hooks offset to the forecart. Now when I get the two married together, yes this team will be able to back in and clean up the corners better. The pasture got over grazed during last year's drought. I got a late start mowing this summer due to working the ponies down and getting them ready for the noise. If time allows, thinking I am going to plow some of that pasture under and plant some open pollinated corn. Have a two row, one horse corn cutter that I bought with my mule in mind for shocking corn next Sept.. These girls need some more hours on them before cultivating corn, but haven't gotten much done in the way of hauling manure yet so that will put some time on the team. Yeah they are nimble!! They got away from their previous owners a few times and got it in their heads to not work. They have a work ethic unlike any pony I have owned in some time. If they are true of the breed, I am impressed with Fjords. They don't stand out in the open yet. But a few days of plowing will really reinforce that lesson so not worried, they know whoa, just not stand. Glad you liked them. I tried to enlarge the pictures with editing but didn't figure it out.

its a tough job owning a farm.

don't know how some of you guys handle it as you get a bit older.(not meaning you are too old, just that the physical demands of farming and tending to fields and livestock is not something for the weak or lazy)

I'd like to see them work Jon. Might have to drop in next time we're "in the neighbourhood".
It's good they have that extra bit of steam, as you say, and the plow should settle them quite a bit.
Does your idea for marrying the two mowers allow for some up and down flex, while eliminating the troublesome four wheeled wagon articulating issue?

But a few days of plowing will really reinforce that lesson so not worried, they know whoa, just not stand.

Heh I'd bet after a day or two of plowing[1] they might be ready to stand a bit nicer and might even take to cultivating alright although imho you'd want to be pretty comfortable with them before getting up on the cultivator - there are less escape hatches there :D.

[1] I remember once we got in a team of Morgans to break to drive and it turned out they'd gotten a little locoweed which makes them get crazy if they get hot (little crazy all the time, plumb crazy once they warmed up). So they were a little high tempered to begin with, but if you tried to work them hard to settle them down they would go plumb crazy. Eventually we sent them home with some pointed instructions about not using them, there weren't a lot of horses we sent back but this was one set. Dad had a couple of Percherons we'd pair new horses with when they were learning and those were big enough they couldn't do a whole lot for the most part but it would still get pretty exciting at times.

Jon, if you want me to take a stab at enlarging the photos, feel free to mail them to me and I'll see what I can do. ;)

the closest thing I can remember ever owning that came close to a workhorse, was a 1990 or so Volvo 240 station wagon.

:rofl: A true Long Island salt o' the earth kind of guy. :D

Jon, if you want me to take a stab at enlarging the photos, feel free to mail them to me and I'll see what I can do. ;)...

I don't know about Jon, but I'd love to see some larger pix of the Fjord ponies.

Around here, most farmers consider Haflingers the pony to have, and they use either Belgians or Percherons for 'heavies.' At the local fair, they have pony pulling contests one day, and heavies the next. The ponies generally pull 5,000+ pounds, and the heavies get up around 7,500+. That's a dead-weight pull on a sled, not on wheels, btw.

The fair starts tomorrow, and I'll be attending (as a spectator, only) both pulls.

I love work horses. When I was a kid I had an uncle that used horses on his farm. I use to love staying there and riding along when he was mowing and raking his hay. He'd let us ride the big old guys. They were named Dick and Dan. My brother and I road them all over. They we the most gentle giants. They would let us crawl all over them and seemed to enjoy us as much a we did the.

I envy you.

its a tough job owning a farm. don't know how some of you guys handle it as you get a bit older.(not meaning you are too old, just that the physical demands of farming and tending to fields and livestock is not something for the weak or lazy)

Well, that is one reason we are selling our cows. Reducing some of the winter work and gamble. We will be purchasing our feeder calves that we raise for freezer beef. There are days I wonder why. But it was a dream all my childhood, we had a friend that mowed hay with a team on our farm when I was in high school. Dad had a team of Belgian studs and that is what I bred my Quarter Horse mare to and a lot of my horses on my farm trace back to her.

I'd like to see them work Jon. Might have to drop in next time we're "in the neighbourhood".
It's good they have that extra bit of steam, as you say, and the plow should settle them quite a bit.
Does your idea for marrying the two mowers allow for some up and down flex, while eliminating the troublesome four wheeled wagon articulating issue?

You and yours are always welcome as anyone from FWW is. Sure your wife wants to come to the farm of the guy that grabbed her elbow?:eek: Yep, plenty of step/steam. Not really worried about their disposition at this time, they are a joy to be around. They just haven't had to work to the extent that a rest is a rest and appreciated. There is a difference as all of us working people understand. No up and down flex planned. My old JD mower was 10' and solid deck. Will end up with two spare tires this way! A four wheeled wagon is quite easy to place with a good team. Haven't put these girls to the test as of yet. Hope to get the tires changed on the wagon tomorrow after school and drive the team on our "people hauler wagon" as this coming Sunday is our family reunion and will be using the team for farm tours. Then I will have them on a good wagon and see what they know about backing. The problem now with the current hitch set up is there are two hinge points behind the forecart.

Heh I'd bet after a day or two of plowing[1] they might be ready to stand a bit nicer and might even take to cultivating alright although imho you'd want to be pretty comfortable with them before getting up on the cultivator - there are less escape hatches there :D. [1] I remember once we got in a team of Morgans to break to drive and it turned out they'd gotten a little locoweed which makes them get crazy if they get hot (little crazy all the time, plumb crazy once they warmed up). So they were a little high tempered to begin with, but if you tried to work them hard to settle them down they would go plumb crazy. Eventually we sent them home with some pointed instructions about not using them, there weren't a lot of horses we sent back but this was one set. Dad had a couple of Percherons we'd pair new horses with when they were learning and those were big enough they couldn't do a whole lot for the most part but it would still get pretty exciting at times.

Sounds like a person that has ridden on a cultivator! Yep, kind of down in a pocket of sharp deadly instruments. Had a runaway on my 2 row planter one year. From my knees down I was bruised, cut and beat beyond belief. Quite honestly, I would have no problem driving them and riding on a cultivator behind them, they just were broke as a wagon team so walking straight isn't a concern to them, they get to daydreaming and wander from time to time.

the closest thing I can remember ever owning that came close to a workhorse, was a 1990 or so Volvo 240 station wagon.

We are even Allen, I have never owned a station wagon or a Volvo!

Im a bit curious, what does someone have to pay for a workhorse?

This would - imho - be a pretty good price for a trained horse ($1400 per for a matched pair of percheron geldings once the link inevitably goes away): http://salem.craigslist.org/grd/3966997009.html
(and they're beautiful horses, I love a good team of percherons especially black ones, reminds me of our old stud :D)

With horses the price can vary from free to the price of a decent sized farm/nice house in the city. A lot depends on the breeding (strong breeding stock is obviously more), training (better trained is sometimes but not always more) age (all other things being equal would normally follow a curve peaking at around 6-10 years old).

The harness will likely run at least as much or probably more than the horses unless you're getting something moderately special in the horseflesh category. Then you'll need equipment... and a horse that size has a bit of an appetite and if you need to pay for much training (probably for both the horse and more importantly you :D) that adds up...

I love work horses. When I was a kid I had an uncle that used horses on his farm. I use to love staying there and riding along when he was mowing and raking his hay. He'd let us ride the big old guys. They were named Dick and Dan. My brother and I road them all over. They we the most gentle giants. They would let us crawl all over them and seemed to enjoy us as much a we did the. I envy you.

Paul along with anyone else, you are welcome to come someday/weekend and go for a drive or two with me and the team. One of my life goals is to reach deep into the souls of my grandkids and have them have the feelings for teams that you have due to your experiences. The names of my ponies were the names of my Great Grandfather's last team. Who knows, when I am dead and gone maybe an unknown grandchild will own a team and name them Fannie and Mae for my team their mom or dad remembers.

Im a bit curious, what does someone have to pay for a workhorse?

I bought this team from a man that was working them for an older couple that had purchased them at the Waverly, Iowa spring sale. They were pictured in the catalog and brought $5,000.00 each. At the time the mares were 3 years old and they learned to get away/out muscle their new owners. This man in IL got them to work and find a home for them. I have written and am working on two new articles for Rural Heritage magazine and we through the internet met and got to talking. My very first pony was a buckskin so think that is the reason I have a soft spot for buckskin horses. When I saw my first team of Norwegian Fjords I was in love. They are more affordable now than they were 20 years ago as then only breeding stock was in the US. Knowing they were going to be on a farm and worked, not being sold for a quick buck, I gave $2,500.00 for the pair and another $300.00 for him meeting me halfway from his farm to my farm. A good hitch team (for advertising for big business it is not uncommon to see them bring 20-30 thousand each). General run of the mill farm teams, 8-14 thousand) and this is without harness.

Jon, if you want me to take a stab at enlarging the photos, feel free to mail them to me and I'll see what I can do. ;)

Sent you an email Vaughn. Thanks for anything you can accomplish or in the least for at least trying.

I don't know about Jon, but I'd love to see some larger pix of the Fjord ponies.
Around here, most farmers consider Haflingers the pony to have, and they use either Belgians or Percherons for 'heavies.' At the local fair, they have pony pulling contests one day, and heavies the next. The ponies generally pull 5,000+ pounds, and the heavies get up around 7,500+. That's a dead-weight pull on a sled, not on wheels, btw. The fair starts tomorrow, and I'll be attending (as a spectator, only) both pulls.

Vaughn is working on it. Have others but our home computer is getting sloooooooooooooooooow. When we were raising draft ponies we used crosses with halflinger. We had a couple nice teams of QH/Haflinger cross and our stud was a Haflinger/Percheron cross. Some purebred haflingers show to much of their Arab ancestry for my preferences. This team of Fjords regardless how many days in a row we work, how hard I have worked them, they will meet me at the gate and stick their heads in their halters and are happy to be harnessed and working. Have fun at the pull. It is nice seeing athletic horses working and doing something they enjoy.

Let's try these. They may or may not be in the right order, but they'll still give a bit better look. :)

Fannie%20and%20Mae%2001%20-%20800.jpg

Fannie%20and%20Mae%2002%20-%20800.jpg

Fannie%20and%20Mae%2003%20-%20800.jpg

Fannie%20and%20Mae%2004%20-%20800.jpg

Fannie%20and%20Mae%2006%20-%20800.jpg