Router jig for dados to take care of variable plywood thickness

Um we'll yes I have made that jig, works extremely well. And that guy Bill Hilton is a a router guru check out his books

Been using one since 2007. Works well but, I added a feature that allows a template bushing to guide you as opposed to the outside of the router plate. Funny, I didn't realize I'd had that one little Milwaukee router for so long. I don't use the plastic bushings anymore and switched to brass PC style but, the effect is the same. I've been meaning to build this one from ShopNotes which is the same basic premise with some finesse added in. . . . its on the list somewhere :eek:.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn man we need that jig to be a sticky. Its buried so deep i could not find it. spent over an hour searching and reading posts the other night....got waylaid a few times too but all i found was the discussion Larry started recently on dealing with dados.

This jig would have solved Larrys problem and it appears solves the issue of variable thickness.

Glenn would you mind if at some point i made ur post into a pdf for our tips page.

Thats the thing i really really do not like about the forum concept. So much useful knowledge is in this database but to find it is a mission. But i feel the same about the internet as a whole.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Glenn man we need that jig to be a sticky. Its buried so deep i could not find it. spent over an hour searching and reading posts the other night....got waylaid a few times too but all i found was the discussion Larry started recently on dealing with dados.

This is why I harp about using sensible titles :twocents:. Things like "Adjustable Dado Jig" or "Tablesaw Extension Table" are a lot easier to find than a router jig under a thread titled "Hey, check this out". I have caught myself using vague thread titles on occasion and I try to go back and fix them and add tags. This will increase the value of our historical content :thumb:.

Generally, the standard search does not perform very well. I nearly always go to the 'advanced' search option, which is powered by Google to search the site for things older than a day or so.

I've used my festool router on rails similar to this where I just offset the rail by the delta between the outside of the bit and the rail. To make that work I have a bunch of offset blocks for different bit widths and it is as you can imagine somewhat error prone and doesn't handle variable widths very effectively and is difficult to use on narrow/small pieces so this looks a lot better (specifically Glenns version looks even more better). :thumb:

One thing I'm not seeing in the instructions that seems obvious is to cut the slot narrow (or not at all) initially and then use one pass on each side with the router to cut it to the actual width. Maybe it was implied as obvious :D..