How too?

Bart Leetch

Save my Windows Live Mail contacts list so I can download it back into the mail program when I get my new computer?

This computer is still under warranty & Office Max is replacing it...it still is problematic with overheating even with a cooling pad.

Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and DUMP Windows Live Mail!

I hated it when I was forced to use it when I got Vista. A little over a year ago, I went to Windows 7 and couldn't find any way to get my emails onto the new WLM when I set up the new laptop. I went with Thunderbird and have been happy with it. I use gmail and it works fine. It'll take some getting used to, but it's better than WLM!

I haven't used windows mail in a long time, but typically there is an export option in the program from what I recall. Also may find where it's storing your mail file (*.pst ?) and save that to re-import/open via the new mail client.

As for Windows 8, if you run older programs, you'll want to add a start bar program for the old desktop. I bought one called Start8 which adds the start bar, but also allows you to startup to the desktop rather than the Metro UI. I found with windows 8's new notifications that when I had earlier windows programs running you can't see when they need attention, all pop-ups and flashing windows are in the background. However starting up to the old desktop lets you use the machine much like the previous versions of windows, just have to get used to the new menus for system settings and such. Given the option...I'd stick with windows 7 IMHO.

Edit: oops, forgot the link for exporting... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/mail-import-backup-restore