The FIRST Brisket!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
OK. I got some instructions from Brent. He did ribs and we talked. I have the smoker [needs some assembly]. No fancy expensive thermometer - yet. I'll go with the smoker thermometer and hope for the best.

So first it gets rub, right? The rub stuff I wrote down was: Basic red meat rub components:
Salt, pepper
Garlic, onion
Paprika, chili pepper.

How about dry mustard exchange for the scary chilli pepper? How much of each?

Second question. Am I to do any trimming or leave the fat back on, and smoke with it on top?

Undoubtedly, more questions later. Hang in here with me. That's a pricey hunk of meat!

Chili powder isn't scary at all. It's really mellow and is just adds flavor, no heat.

Cayenne pepper is pretty scary though.

Looks like a bunch of us are doing brisket! I'll be doing 1/2 a brisket as well, since I can't really see cooking such a huge amount for just the two of us.

Look at Jim's thread on the brisket as well, I think he has some good ideas.

Darren is the expert, so anything he says, I'd take for gospel.

I'll be putting mine in early in the morning at 220, and will wrap it midway through with some homebrew in to add moisture. My latest brew, a blonde summertime ale, is very light, and kind of sweet, and not too bitter, so it should work pretty well.

No brisket for me this weekend. After all, I'm a native TEXAN! It ain't that big a deal if you have the right DNA. :thumb:

Pork ribs (St. Louis trim), pork butt, pork chops, chicken breasts on the smoker and we'll be ready to go!
:champagne:

You know, put it together, season it, and practice dialing in the temperature.

You'll do fine with thermometer on the front. Just set the temperature low, let it run for 10 minutes or so, see what the temp says. Make a very small adjustment, wait another 10 minutes, etc... Once you get the temp dialed in, then mark it on the thermostat with a sharpie to make sure you know where the settings are.

While Brent finishes up our PID's and knowing the analog on the MES is interesting at best!!, we ran to Lowes a couple weeks ago and I picked up a Taylor single probe digital for $16. I use it two ways; to get the smoker to the right temp and then stick it in the meat and follow it. One of the best 16 bucks I've spent!
suja4uve.jpg

Last edited:
Grrrr. No Lowes here. HD has nothing in the store here. Winging it. Will assemble the smoker this morning and season it. If there is time I will put on the smoked shrimp boats later today that have been waiting in the freezer. Plan to get some spices later and apply the rub to the brisket and refrigerate tonight. May not get this in the smoker until Monday though. I am gone tomorrow morning for 9 hours or more.

I picked up a butt and brisket, have a pork tenderloin also. I may go get another butt before tomorrow morning though. I've actually been buying different rubs at the store lately to try them out for variation, but a basic rub I use is:

2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
2 teaspoons dried chile powder
2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

I usually double/quadruple that recipe, but I use it quite often and keep some in a mason jar. I do substitute 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar for Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw) as the size is a little larger and seems to crust a little better.

Grrrr. No Lowes here. HD has nothing in the store here. Winging it. Will assemble the smoker this morning and season it. If there is time I will put on the smoked shrimp boats later today that have been waiting in the freezer. Plan to get some spices later and apply the rub to the brisket and refrigerate tonight. May not get this in the smoker until Monday though. I am gone tomorrow morning for 9 hours or more.

It'll work fine... We are doing ours on monday too...