Maple Burl Thingy

Nate Davey

Viewing the works of the likes of Mike Foster, Vinnie Luciani and others too numerous to mention has made we want to do some "problem solving" turnings. I have a few in the works but this is the first one finished. I saw one similar to this on WOW, I think, but don't remember who turned it to give attribution to. The idea is to turn this flat topped "bowl" but leave the bottom natural. I also wanted the little legs to be placed a bit random and, my big accomplishment, I turned them entirely with a skew. The good news is, if I don't like it after a bit, I can through it back on the lathe and do something a bit more "traditional". Appreciate your thoughts, good and bad.
Maple Burl Thing Angle_edited-1.jpgMaple Burl Thing Side_edited-1.jpgMaple Burl Thing Bottom.jpg

Last edited:
ok so this is probably headslappingly obvious but how did you mount that to turn the bowl side?
I'm surprised that it stands up right as well as it appears to with the legs so far to one side, am I missing something obvious there as well?

I really like the bead, without that I think the bowl part would be lost with it it stands out visually. The way you have the second picture brings out the stalactite look nicely, that's a good shot.

Thanks Ryan, there is a third foot in the foreground, don't know if you caught it? I have a "pronged" face plate I held the back with and made VERY light cuts

Thanks Ryan, there is a third foot in the foreground, don't know if you caught it?

I did, I suspect it may just be perspective the more I look at it, but it appears to be off center on the same side as the other two...

I have a "pronged" face plate I held the back with and made VERY light cuts

Interesting, I'll bet light cuts!! :eek: If you happen to take a pic of the faceplate at some point it would be interesting to see.

Very cool, Nate. :thumb: I did a similar piece out of mallee burl a few years ago, but I bored a shallow hole with a Forstner bit to make a recess I could expand the chuck jaws into. After turning the bowl, I made a simple pedestal base that filled the recess on the bottom. I understand the pronged faceplate, but did you use the tailstock to keep the blank attached to it, or drive the prongs in somehow?