New food processor

Roger Tulk

I bought a food processor on clearance for about $40, oh, probably six years ago, and it has served me well, except for the time it sprayed carrot soup over the curtains, counter, me and everything else. thinking back on that, though, I may have exceeded the fill level at the time. Anyway, since then I've done my pureeing with a stick blender, whcih I prefer, as you don't have to move the soup out of the pot. The B&D food processor has done a lot of chopping, slicing, and shredding for me, but I've been getting a bit anxious to get a new one.

As I am the primary user of the food processor, I didn't bring it up, but my wife told me today that B&D food procesors were on half price at Cdn Tire, and I could get one if I wanted. She didn't see me leave for dust. I was bacl in about 20 minutes with the new kitchen tool, which appears to have a few advantages over the old one (larger food chute that is size-selectable, and more blades) and according to my wife blends in with our new kitchen. Soup season is almost upon us, so I'll be putting it through its paces soon. My daughter used the old one to make hummus last week, so it will be a good purchase for someone at the thrift store.

OK, Roger. I was thinking about soups. How about some recipes?

My food processor is a Ninja. Six blades. Got it about a year ago. Works great. Little more money though.

Speaking of food processors, I've been wanting to update the basic unit we have. I'd like something that will do a better job of slicing and dicing and maybe even handle a bit of julienne. Recommendations???

As requested, Curried ginger and carrot soup:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped; (or grated) fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 cups carrots; (peeled & sliced into 1/2 inch slices)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pinch curry powder

Heat oil in large pot and cook onions, ginger & garlic for 15 - 20 minutes or until onions are transparent. Don't allow the onions to brown. Add stock & carrots & heat to boiling, then simmer on med. for 45 minutes Puree soup & season with salt, pepper, curry powder & lemon juice. Serve hot or chilled.

This is a very forgiving recipe. I've made it with powdered ginger or garlic, and varied the amount of curry and ginger for milder or spicier flavours. I usually leave out the salt, as I use Knorr stock, and it has enough salt.

This has been a hit every time I've served it.

This one is entirely my own: Broccoli, cauliflower and cheddar cheese soup

2 ounces margarine or butter
1 medium onion, chopped
5 spring onions, white parts, sliced
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cups chopped cauliflower and broccoli, fresh or frozen
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
3 ounces medium or old cheddar cheese, shredded

Melt butter or margarine in a 2.5 quart pot, and saute the onions and celery on medium for about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and broccoli, stir to coat, and add the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bring to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor, or with a hand blender until completely smooth. On low heat, add the cheese a little at a time, stirring until it melts. Save a little of the cheese to garnish the bowls when serving. Serve hot. Serves four.

Can't do cooked carrots...at my age, why!
But the broccoli and cauliflower orange stuff looks yummy! Cheddar is one of my food groups!
I kind of shy away from food processors for soup...tall blender has a the blueprint for blending soup stuff.