Bird House To DP Expansion Table

Al Launier

Haven't worked much in the shop, mostly trying to get it set up for a winter past time hobby, or wood working repairs. My last project was an obscenely colored bird house which I have since changed to a more subtle color scheme. The birds still are boycotting it. Oh well!

Now I've just completed another simple project, a Drill Press Expansion Table, that is well beneath your skills, but it passes the time & is enjoyable.

I occasionally find myself having to drill pieces that are longer, sometimes much longer, than the table of my small drill press & have to use a roller support. So, when I ran across an article in a Woodsmith magazine, I saw a solution; a flexible expansion table.

I decided not to glue the hardboard to the top of the table, preferring instead to screw it together so it could be removed if ever needed.

I also decided against incorporating the T-Track, as I prefer (at least for now) to use a fence that is pinned with a 1/4" dowel pin and pivots, then clamped, to establish a uniform row of holes for drilling. Several dowel holes along the edge of the table & the fence allow positioning that will accommodate most any size/shape work-piece. DP Exp Table-6.jpgDP Exp Table-4.jpgDP Exp Table-6.jpgDP Exp Table-10.jpgDP Exp Table-11.jpgDP Exp Table-14.jpgDP Exp Table-16.jpgDP Exp Table-19.jpgDP Exp Table-23.jpgIf anyone is interested I can email the Woodsmith plans.

Last edited:
Those extensions are indeed nifty! Also a good idea on the replaceable center - my one DP has a replaceable insert and while I DO use a backer board most of the time.. well :D Its a good idea!

Took me a minute to figure out your fence but once I did it makes perfect sense. Definitely agree that rotating like that is easier to dial in.