bulge cutting board

Dan Noren

Staff member
now for a really fun optical illusion board, a bulge board. in the first pic is an example of the type of board. i will be making 3 of them to sell at upcoming craft sales. i've already figured out how much lumber i will need for all nine boards, and started out with the fun part of the bulge board, cutting almost 500 (144x3=432 plus extras) maple and walnut plugs. in order to keep going with these projects, i had to repair my rip fence. i had to replace a rod that goes through the center of the fence, and is threaded on each end. snapped the rod clean at the handle end. i guess i'm too tough on them, that's the second one in the 10 years i've had this table saw.

Attachments

• 001 all walnut and maple plugs cut.jpg
    001 all walnut and maple plugs cut.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 368996-438x.jpg
    368996-438x.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 78
not sure who's design it is, as it seems to be a pretty common one. it's just a generic placement of the plugs is what causes the illusion. i've seen them with both round and square plugs. there is even a video on you tube that shows how to make them.

Great looking board, Dan! :thumb:

I've been bookmarking boards from different sources for when I finally get to a point I'm past my large projects. I drew up a couple of them in SU and showed them to LOML. She wanted to know who I hated enough to give a board like that to! Guess that means she doesn't want one!!! :dunno: