Stickley mantle clock - Epilogue

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Always Wanted to build one of these. This particular one was featured in popular woodworking in December 2008. So far all I have done is rough dimensions some of that fine Michigan quarter sawn white oak I got from Larry. I will Post updates as they become available.
5e3avazu.jpg
unazujan.jpg

Last edited:
Stickley mantle clock

Larry has it! Except, I'll be using a large Forstner bit to cut out the center then cut to the points with a jigsaw and then clean it out and tidy up by hand

possible jig for less clean up rennie, make a template out of mdf or ply wood and make it straight nad clean as if it were a good piece then postion that on your part and use a pattern bit to get all but the very insets at the points then just a chisel and clean up the corners. would make the flat smooth and uniform will speed up the process for you i think

Stickley mantle clock

Off to a bit of a rough start. Worked for several hours on scrap pieces getting the leigh jig tuned and ready to go, but even so the Oak gave me some issues.

Some minor tear out in some places, a little bit more than minor in some others. This will take a little work to get it looking right.

The minor stuff
uda6erub.jpg
6y6umemu.jpg

The not so minor stuff
jata4ahe.jpg
su7ytapy.jpg

not that you need advice from me, but I avoid a lot of tearout on my PC dovetail jig by always making sure I have a good backer piece, a good bit, router set at correct speed, and I make shallow passes back and forth until I can ease the bit into the fingers.

Well, sometimes stupid works in your favor. Turns out the top I made was from the cut off and not the piece intended to be the top! Very close in size - honest mistake. :rofl: So, I am redeemed! I'll rout the real top tomorrow (jig was still set up, fortunately) and be more careful about making sure I have a solid backer.

Rennie, I wish I could have such luck sometime. I've done the exact opposite. Thought I was doing the test run with a scrap, but it was the piece I intended to use for the project!:doh:

Should be a beautiful clock when finished! :thumb:

Rennie, neat project, can't wait to follow along and see it done! That being said, and living near the center of the Stickley universe (Manlius is about 20 minutes from my house), I just can't get into the whole 'Mission Oak' thing. Still, good save on the oops with the Router! Ken- nice song, haven't heard that in awhile!

Stickley mantle clock

After re- doing the top this morning, slightly better fit with less tear out, I decided to work on the through mortises. Got the mortise Machine all set up and made me some square holes.

Rennie%20Stickley%20Clock%201.jpg

Rennie%20Stickley%20Clock%202.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: