Stickley mantle clock - Epilogue

Re: Stickley mantle clock

Wow nice recess i think your idea for the glass is a real good one. Now who is cutting that piece of glass for you??? and how much?

Rennie i am just wondering aloud but could our Peter the laser cutter not cut a perfect piece of polycarb to fit.?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Wow nice recess i think your idea for the glass is a real good one. Now who is cutting that piece of glass for you??? and how much?

Rennie i am just wondering aloud but could our Peter the laser cutter not cut a perfect piece of polycarb to fit.?

Local glass supplier - about $3

Re: Stickley mantle clock

With all those cuts on the edges included and done to match the quality of your work? :eek: amazing. How does the guy pay his rent.:confused:

I have not been able to get a lot of time in the shop the past couple of weeks. Dealing with other items like mechanical problems in the truck, etc.

But, I have gotten enough time in to do the final fitting on the door clean up some tear out around the dovetails, and get everything glued together.

I just completed the scary part of the finishing process. That is, the honey amber die. It always scares me to look at my project in yellow. Tomorrow I will add the stain and then later in the week the sealing coat of shellac.

I used an old favorite, superglue and sawdust, to fill in some of the gaps around the dovetails and through mortises. They are a little obvious now, but I think once the early American stain goes on they should disappear. Time will tell.

ynuvujy8.jpg
e7y6eryg.jpg
e9aqe3e4.jpg

That amber will make a great contrast when the darker color is laid on. This is a method you have used before with good success IIRC.

Looking good, Rennie. :thumb: Even as they are (before the stain and final finish), the little bits of filler on the dovetails are invisible to pretty much everyone but you. ;)

NO! NO! NO! Cutting polycarbonate on a laser generates phosgene gas!!! VERY DEADLY. We had six lasers at the factory I retired from and that was the very first thing we were told to NEVER burn.

Yesterday I applied the stain and this morning applied the seal coat of shellac. You guys were right, the repaired gaps in the dovetail joints are all but invisible. Got to love that wild grain.

I'll let the shellac cure overnight and do a very light sanding tomorrow and begin spring on the lacquer. Just need to add the ebony plugs to be ready for spray.

I have some really nice solid brass hinges for this clock but they look too shiny and new. Anybody have a good idea for aging brass?

yny2atu7.jpg
da8e7ydu.jpg
5ybu4asa.jpg

I have some really nice solid brass hinges for this clock but they look too shiny and new. Anybody have a good idea for aging brass?....

Had decent results with this although only the one experience, I was satisfied. I've also heard of folks using heat from a torch or oven, which requires close watching for desirableness{looks/effect} and possible temper loss. Some say vinegar works too :dunno:

It's really looking awesome Rennie! :thumb:

WOW that grain is crazy good lookin!:thumb:

I've read before that if you soak brass in laquer thinner, rinse and then in vinegar it will age it. Longer soak in the vinegar the darker or more aged it gets. Never tried it before though.

That is really looking sharp. Love the looks of QSWO. I've had good luck getting a green patina on brass by putting the brass in an air tight container with a bowl of ammonia then buffing with fine steel wool to the desired finish. It's a repeatable process in case you don't like the first attempt.