Rockler Dovetail Jig

Al Launier

I'm not ready for dovetailing (yet), but ran across this on CL (http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/4035436761.html). If it is a complete unit & is in good+ condition, would this, in your opinion, be a good deal? Anticipating I may eventually get to working with wood at a higher level, this could be worth an "early" investment??? I have queried the seller with a few questions, but would appreciate your comments while waiting for some professional insight. What do you think?

Al i think you would be better of with the 4216 rather than the 4212, ask brent which one he has,, also the ability to make half blinds on two pieces at once is a fine asset.. i know one of the porter cable models does that..

I have the Rockler jig, and the two times I've made dovetails with it (half-blind), I was able to get good results without too many trials or tribulations. Still, if your budget can swing it, the Porter-Cable models will be easier to use and more versatile.

I bought a dovetail jig fairly early on when I started getting into woodworking, figuring "everybody else has one, so I should get one, too". As I said, I've used mine twice...once to make a test joint, and once to make a paper towel holder.

PT%20Holder%20Full%20500.jpg

PT%20Holder%20End%20500.jpg

As I see it, the joints on that project cost me between $40 and $50 each. ;)

If I may...

The PC 4212 is enough jig. Rarely do we make drawers that deep, or even 6" deep. Even more rarely would we try to do more than one corner at a time. It is difficult enough to get one corner set up perfectly.

Brent got my 4212. I plan on the 4216 to replace it only because it is rumored to be able to do through dovetails. It will be interesting to try. I've run more than few dovetails as you might imagine.

Al, watch for a used 4212. It should be reasonable. Many people like Vaughn bought one years ago and haven't used it in ages.

Good point Vaughn. Looks like I should wait for an actual need to present itself.
As to the other responses:
Thanks Brent I'll really appreciate the offer, but I'm convinced that I should hold out for the PC.
Thanks Larry & Carol. When the time comes I'll certainly & seriously look at & compare the PC Model 4212 or the 4216 to assess which would best serve my needs.

Have to get over my impulse to buy when there isn't an immediate need. Just that I like to add to my toy collection. ;):rofl:

...Looks like I should wait for an actual need to present itself...

On the other hand, if you can find a used one for a good price, it might be worth scooping up. By buying it used, you should be able to recoup your investment if you decide to sell it down the road.

Al to me Vaughns caution are some of the wisest words i have learnt on this forum.
I too purchased many tools most new in anticipation of using them and in a good few cases they still unused.
Since joining here and "trying hard " really hard to heed the advice i have restrained myself to purchasing as needed my tools regardless of bargains. Not always easy. But consider this. Alan Levine many many moons back made the point about woodworking being a costly hobby. He was right in my view in one respect specifically...wood. Pointless having loads of tools to use someday and then not have the wood.
So my prefrered path now would be to try do projects and make jigs, buy wood and tools on a per need basis per project.
Glenn has made the point about jigs. Left to some of the magazines :) we could spend out life making jigs in anticipation of "future" need and again I was headed down this path too. None of which ever yields something you actually want to output rather all in anticipation of the future. It eventually gets stale because that list can be endless just the same as tool buying in anticipation of....someday.
I would challenge any one of us woodwoorkers to chime in if they have no tools they have cash tied up in which could have been put to better use in the hobby.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I use:

Dovetail jig.jpg

I'd have to agree with the idea of picking one up as the need arises, although I'd be really tempted to grab that for $40.00 if it's all there, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Of course, by the time I finished researching what kind of deal it really was it would most likely be gone so it wouldn't matter anyway.
I was in the market for a dovetail jig back around 1990 and came across the plans for this one printed in Woodsmith issue #58 from August 1998. I still have the magazine and the plans. (all the setup instructions are in the plans, I thought they might be handy to hang on to.) I don't use it very much but it is handy to have around when I need it. The plans called for maple but I had some 2" thick cherry on hand so I used that instead. I think I might have about $15.00 wrapped up in all the hardware. I was fortunate enough to be working for a conveyor company at the time and we used a lot of 1/4" UHMW so I was able to pick up a scrap piece of that to make the template out of rather than using Masonite or buying the one offered in the kit from Woodsmith. This is one of those things that goes along with Rob's comment about all the cool jigs and templates the magazines have to offer. This one filled a need at the time and I doubt if I'll ever buy a replacement considering how much it gets used and how nice a job it does with a little adjustment, but if I had never had the need it would probably still be on my 'one of these days' list.

I own an older version of the Rocker/Harbor Freight version. I've also used the PC version and would recommend it over the Rockler/HF, as well the setup on the PC was much easier. Ideally with either you'll want to make sure you mill stock to the exact same thickness and the same drawer heights (or drawer size increments) each time so you don't have to re-setup the jig. Many folks even keep a dedicated router that is already setup for their dovetails as well.