what style and value is this chair

larry merlau

friend of my better half has this chair, that has a dog face on the arms any idea of style and possible value?
20130908_145927.jpg20130908_145939.jpg20130908_145948.jpg20130908_150004.jpg

so dave H, you seen anything like this before?

Hey it was an interesting chair. Just did a quick search and found that link. Would have never guessed one chair would have that high of value although that is what they are asking, not what it has sold for. Guess you can ask any amount, it only depends on what the agreed upon price becomes.

Just from the pics in that web post versus yours, your dogs seem way better defined. Dont know what that says.

Look underneath or inside underneath for a makers mark that to me would be very important in determining value from what i have seen watching Antique Roadshow...there are often many reproductions out there. Your dogs might make your one more real than those in the auction where definition of the dog in the carving...ie more time and effort could indicate the original versus a repro. But hey i am a total philistine when it comes to these matters and a good chance my logic is inverted. :)
Worth it to clean it up regardless. But before you do establish its true pedigree. :) So is this now YOUR chair?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Jonathan nice find on the link. Chair is from the 1880's to 1910. East Lake style is loved by many. My while bedroom set is Eat Lake. I've done a lot of these pieces in the shop over the years.