we lost a old hunting archer

larry merlau

Jerry Simmons from alabama passed last night, he was an exceptional archer with traditional gear. and i was fortunate to have been in hunting camp with him and even shot one of his bows while hunting one evening.. he was a jokester and a excellent woodsman. here is a link that talks about him a little, LINK

jerry.jpg happy trails my friend.. he is the guy on the left..

he wasnt as well known as fred bear, but he was as good of a woodsman. ken, we were fortunate to have had fred bear in our state, did you ever meet him? i did, years ago i was the county rep for michigan bowhunters, and we had him as a contributor at our first rendovous in charlotte, so i had some one on one time with him. you would never think that he was such a prestigous guy when meeting him in person ,down to earth fella and thin and tall.. built for walking for sure:)

Sorry to hear that you lost a friend Larry, especially an archery hunter. Seems like we are losing many who hunted in the traditional way, with minimal equipment, but with maximum hunting skills. These were the true hunters, using stealth and intimate knowledge of the game & the territory.

sharon i wasnt looking for sympathy, but thanks for the concern. i just wanted others to know that jerry had made a mark in this world.. its amazing sometimes how little one thing can be yet leaves such a memorable mark in ones life.. he was the real deal not full of hot air, bryon fergonson mentioned he wasnt as a good of shot as some which meet him but he got the critters.. well bryon F , had lost more than jerry ever did in the criter department trick shooting isnt the same as critter shooting..some folks like the lime light and others just like to be in the fog just out sight, those are the ones that can be on my team any day!