Odd thoughts i had travelling home from USA

Rob Keeble

Well we home after a long drive. Thought i would share with you some of the things that came to mind after visiting the North East briefly.

The English left some indelible marks on the USA...:rofl:

Here i am driving the 90 interstate and we come across Toll after Toll.
Now I am not against road tolls it makes those who use them pay for them to be kept. But having just visited the sites related to the birth of freedom from the Crowns tax collectors, i found it quiet funny that the Freeman themselves set up Tolls like the King had back in the day to collect a tax. This "freeman" would really prefer a different name to it. Dont ask me what but i had visions of a tax collector each time i entered a toll booth. It sure stirred the revolutionary colonist in me to want to revolt. :rofl:

I never got time to do all i would have liked but that leaves something for next time. One thing i have to go back to Boston to do is throw tea overboard. Yup even symbolically this is a bucket list item for me. Kinda a journey like a journey to Mecca for some people. Next time i go though i shall do so on my own, so i can spend more time at all the historical places in Boston and pause to ponder history. Will also do so in winter perhaps so that there are less tourists. :)

Historical events around the world where people have stood up en masse and changed their circumstances have fascinated me ever since being taught history in high school.

There are lessons in this for all of us to heed. From my observations it mostly occurs when a large group of people either have nothing or very little to loose and even hope of a better future leaves them. But there is always something that sparks the tinder box and sets off events. Event in modern day city riots it all seems to start with one little spark that sets off a whole bunch of grief.

Good news i observed is FED DOT finally seems to be getting funding to fix the roads or at least the toll money is going where it should go. Also noticed loads of bridges being repaired or refurbished in MA and NY.:thumb: Spare a thought though for just how much asphalt there is out there when you want a 100 mile section of a 3 or 4 lane one side interstate resurfaced and then give some thought as to when and how you do it when its 24x7 365 full of traffic.:huh:

Observed a number of other things but those are best left alone.;)

Really nice break and long over due visit. Cape cod Beaches rule. Will be going back there for a longer visit next time. Best beaches I have seen in the US so far. Sorry CA, you guys have too many telephone wires dangling around those houses that clutter what you call a beach. :D Oh and the Baywatch chicks are old now so .....:p

I'm a big fan of some of the n.c. beaches, although I've only been there in the fall so I don't know how bad the crowds are in peak season, I suspect pretty bad. The Oregon coast is amazingly spectacular as well although a lot more rugged. And i would be remiss if i didn't mention the outer coast of Vancouver island around tofino. Just a couple more places to add to the bucket list :)

Added the cape to mind :)

I'm a big fan of some of the n.c. beaches, although I've only been there in the fall so I don't know how bad the crowds are in peak season, I suspect pretty bad. The Oregon coast is amazingly spectacular as well although a lot more rugged. And i would be remiss if i didn't mention the outer coast of Vancouver island around tofino. Just a couple more places to add to the bucket list :)

Added the cape to mind :)

I also prefer the less crowded places and agree with Ryan on the NC beaches. I love them in the fall after the kids go back to school....you can have the whole place to yourself, depending where you stop, but still have good restaurants available when the day is over and sleeping, after a day of fresh air and with the sound of the surf in your head, is amazing. I would be remiss if I didn't recall the best beach ever-- the Bering Sea side of the Aleutians around Izembek Bay near Cold Bay.
http://www.fws.gov/alaska/nwr/izembek/index.htm
One of the largest salt water eel grass wildfowl preserves in the world and miles of sandy beaches. At the time I was there hunting brown bear in the late 60's before it became a national treasure, the beaches were covered in small 5-6" hand blown glass fishing floats washed ashore during storms from Japanese fishing fleets. They shone in the sun like diamonds...almost blinding...it was truly a sight to remember.

Yeah I have yet to get to the Carolinas, hey you gotta eat an elephant one bite at a time. :)

Larry my fishing trip was a bust, Great water but no fish for me. Read that the problem is Grey seal population been growing and growing and killing off the recreational fishing to the extent that two tackle shops on the Cape closed their doors due to the decline in local guys coming to fish for stripers that are not there any more.

Saw lots of gray seals though and got to put a line in the water and that's more important than the catch.

Next time though I will go better prepared and with more time to get local input. Have a great surf rod that I never took with. Also will buy a heavy fly rod for the conditions and fish size.

They say to catch and keep a striper it needs to be 28" and over and the guys I spoke to said its pretty common when they come near the beach and chase the herring or other bate fish then the guys pull out huge stripers.

There are lots of other fish to catch as well but their populations aint large. But its a lovely place with few places where the beach is developed and houses prevent access like in Hampton beach area.

Allen I hope you never misunderstood my post and got the wrong impression of my comments. This medium sure don't replace hearing a person in real life so one can tell tone

... The Oregon coast is amazingly spectacular as well although a lot more rugged. And i would be remiss if i didn't mention the outer coast of Vancouver island around tofino...

I would agree with the Oregon coast and the west coast of Vancouver Island. I would also add the Washington Beaches, more of the same. Maybe next year you need to come out here and find out for yourself.