which type veneer for covering stair riser

allen levine

I need to cover 2 stair risers with oak veneer.
I cant use thin ply like the rest, as the bottom one is curved.
what type veneer should I purchase(paper backing?) and what glue to secure it?

I want to keep it simple and inexpensive.

I need to cover 2 stair risers with oak veneer.
I cant use thin ply like the rest, as the bottom one is curved.
what type veneer should I purchase(paper backing?) and what glue to secure it?

I want to keep it simple and inexpensive.
Allen when I worked for midwest woodworks. We used paper backed veneer to do curved work all the time. We used contact cement to put it on with.

I also think the paper backed is going to work best for this. You could (maybe) use PSA, but the paper backed may give the veneer a little more flexibility. Paper backed (IMHO) requires contact cement. Even if you used PSA, I would suggest a coat of contact cement on the riser, then apply the PSA. I've done cabinet face frames that way (PSA) and the bond is incredible!

thanx Stephen and fred, my local expensive lumber yard sells sheets of paperbacked.
since its a one time deal, Ill just go for the extra few bucks and buy it from him, hes 5 minutes from me.

I've used different types of veneer for different applications. Paper-backed is the way to go for your application. The only issue I have is the use of contact cement. When I did brief stints in commercial shops after my career behind a desk, one shop used TBII or cold press adhesive for veneers which were all paper-backed. We never had a problem with the veneer coming away from the substrate. The other shop routinely specified contact cement for veneering and routinely had surfaces that we had to slice open, inject TBII and iron the veneer back down.

my local yard wanted 52 bucks for a 2 foot by 8 foot piece, the smallest he had, and Im not spending that kind of money.
I can get the same size for 30 bucks online, but Ill look for smaller, I only need approx. 16 inches by 40 inches.

It's a shame you aren't closer to Baltimore as I'll be up there in 2 weeks for a week and I would just give you a piece.

Allen, I checked my supply and have a large enough piece of paper-backed maple veneer to get a 16x40 section for you. With the right stain, you could probably match it to your oak. It's yours if you want it. No charge. I can get it in the mail Monday.

so I cut up a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch oak ply. I needed 11 pieces, I got 12 out of it, good thing, I damaged the sides on one.
The bottom riser was a bit smaller.
I cut up the sheet and poly'ed first coat in one hour. Next day, sanded, second coat, all of 15 minutes. Took me 30 minutes to liquid nails and a few pins to put them all in place.

This morning, I worked on cutting and glueing on the veneer on the bottom two steps.

I worked over 3 hours getting it cut and installed with contact cement. Ill let it sit for 3 days, then apply poly.

Since the risers were painted over and over again, I gave them a good sanding first then cleaned them off nicely before I applied the contact cement, seems it worked well, no bubbles.
Hope it holds well once I apply poly.

This project was supposed to be started sometime next year during the winter months.

I made new hardwood seats for my front room table(dining table), since the original ones were wrong material(leatherette junk) and some of them are ripping/tearing. Ill use hardwood seats and buy cushions.
This little project was a ton of glueups, ran it all through the drum sander, and this will be done tomorrow.

Im 6 months ahead of my projects list. Probably hit the lathe a lot in the near future and work on some flatwork toys also, all for fun.

the cooler weather is a beautiful thing for me, the myasthenia isn't knocking me down as bad as when the temps and humidity are higher.
Im back to working like a machine again, focused, less errors, just feels a lot better.

Last edited:
Man you a machine. Kudos to you for getting things done. I agree the weather sure makes a difference. I can take heat but not humidity. Fall is my best time of the year. Sleep better, work better happy happy happy.
Allen try branching out since u so far ahead of your list. Try doing something like Mike Hensderson did with those trays and verneer and making those flowers. Or carving.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

no reason to spend more money on tools and supplies.

my hands don't work between arthritis and carpal tunnel, not going to aggrevate the situation anymore than I have too.

Im content with flatwork and some light fun turning.