Weekend starting early Friday again

Will be reinstalling a 15' long, wire frame closet shelf in our finished basement that collapsed. Wife had too many clothes hanging on it, but the main culprit was the contractor who installed the anchors in the sheet rock. Not a single bolt in the 2x4s ! That's going to change this weekend for sure.

Otherwise a quiet weekend. :thumb:

Saturday we're going to the annual Reno Air Races (always a good time). Meeting up with a friend from Sacramento. Can't wait to see Jet Man with nothing but wings and a rocket strapped to him

Sharon, aren't you worried that Brent might think he needs one when he sees the Jet Man?

Arkansas is playing football on tv today, will watch that. County Fair is winding up today, I might help with some clean up there later.
Sunday, church then wife and I going for concealed carry classes that will last most of the day.
Time to get permit and be legal.

Made my dad a new "rawhide/leather burnishing stick" - I noticed the old one he's had for somewhat over 40 years (it predates me but I don't know by how much, might have been grandpas) finally broke when I was up this spring. Basically its a stick with a a bunch of various sized holes in it you can draw rawhide or leather strings and braids through to burnish/smooth them. More important with rawhide than leather as rawhide strings can be sharp enough to cut without some work. I put 15 holes from 7/8" down to 1/16" in it in various graduations (basically about every other drill from my index). The edges of the holes are beveled and polished so they won't cut the strings and that also makes it a little easier to get the strings in. Its turned so the smaller holes aren't as deep (also making it easier to get the small strings through). Some days it seems like all I do is projects that pretty much no one else has ever even heard of what I'm making :rolleyes:.

Obligatory picture:
burnishing-stick.jpg

Made a handful more spinning wheel hooks (pics when they're done..) have another dozen or so to do before the end of the month when the boss takes them to Maryland. Started the refurb on a couple of old hand saws (into the citric acid bath since I have it rolling followed by sanding out the black goop and a bit of elbow grease). Will work on both some more tomorrow unless something else comes up. I'd like to get the saws re-sharpened and assembled and the rest of the hooks turned (making 30 all the same takes a lot longer than 30 all as you please). Would like to get back to a bunch of bowls I have half done but probably won't.

Grandpa was put into palliative care yesterday, looks like it won't be long. He's had stage 4 brain cancer for over a year (since they found it anyways) so its been about six months more than the docs gave him. Hoping he can hang on for a couple of weeks until I can get up there but don't know, probably better if he don't at this point but I suppose but you can't help but be a bit selfish. Another old cowboy heading for his last ride. Never easy.

After what seems to be a month of working non stop, (I did have labor day off...), I had a 'light' duty day, with just some payroll to clean up and then one set of drivers to oversee as they packed up their meds and left the pharmacy. Two new drivers this week, so I had lots of questions to answer, all part of the deal when we hire new drivers. I didn't get any shop time in today, planning on as much of it as I can get tomorrow. My latest woodcraft order came in, a 10' length of 2" hose for my DC/Dust Deputy combo. Hope to get them hooked up and see how the DD works.

Interesting gadget. Always wanted to do leather work but never really found a reason to.

Prayers for your Grandpa, for peace and comfort, and peace in the hearts of all who love him as his life's journey comes to an end on this planet.