Accomplished Something

Paul Douglass

Just returned home after two great weeks at the Oregon Coast. While there I did work on some carving. I have been using a Dremel tool with a little Stewart MacDonald router base attachment. It works great for this kind of carving. This is for a cigar box ukulele I am building. The sound hole cover is complete except I think I will add some stain and then wipe it off so it is only in the deeper parts of the carving. The other is carving is on what will be the back of the headstock. You can see I have a lot of sanding and filing left to do on it. The headstock will also have sides of the darker wood added to make it wider than the neck. The more of this carving I do the more I love doing it. Hope to invest in a Foredom set up one of these days.

IMG_1731.JPGIMG_1732.JPG

Both carvings look great, Paul. :thumb: You've really got the process of making those turtle sound hole covers dialed in. :clap:

That's gonna be a beauty Paul. Is that a real cigar box, or one you put together?

It is a cigar box. The bottom of the box is the top of the uke.

i hope someone does strum it to hard that turtle is very delicate looking excellent detail paul

The turtle actually sits lower than the top of the box.

Thanks for the nice replies. Like I said I am getting to where I love doing the carving stuff. I know real ukes do not have "sound hole covers" but with CB Ukes and guitars, there are no rules.