Man, You Play Guitar Like A Girl!

Yeah, but she's a girl, everyone knows girls are not the emotional types! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, you're right. :rofl: It's impossible to find an emotional female.

Actually, I always liked seeing a female who can play lead guitar. When I was teaching lessons, I had a standing offer for any girl who wanted to learn to play electric rock guitar: Free lessons as long as they would practice hard and put the necessary work into it. Only had one student who really applied herself and became a decent lead player.

As an informal poll, which piece (the girl's or the boy's) do you all think is the most technically and physically demanding to play?

Stu, I think the girl's video was recorded at home. And by emotion, I'm not talking about things like facial expressions and movement...I'm talking about the emotions that the playing elicits in the listener. She plays a lot of notes. He tells a story. ;)

Jay, in my opinion and from my experience, the boy's playing is more technically and physically demanding.

The girl has great technique, but is essentially playing a lot of fast scales and arpeggios. Her left hand is doing a lot of repetitious movements in different locations on the neck. It's like drumming her fingers on a table, but doing it very accurately. Her right hand is primarily playing a steady stream of 1/32 (or 1/64) notes. It's fast, but not all that technically demanding. Also, she played with very little dynamics...her volume stayed at a constant level. But from the looks of this interview, she's aware of the need to expand her "vocabulary" as well as her technique. Lastly, she's playing through electronic distortion and echo devices that "fatten up" her sound quite a bit. Not discounting her playing, though. What she's doing, she's doing very well, though. I doubt I could play that song these days, but I could pull off parts of it with just a little practice.

The boy is showing a wider range of skills with both hands, and some of the chord/melody positions his left hand is in are difficult (and get painful pretty quickly). His right hand is doing all sorts of techniques, and doing them all expertly. Also notice his dynamics...the soft parts and the loud parts. That helps add to the emotional impact of the music. And it's just him and the guitar. (And the traffic noises outside, LOL.) He's pulling good tone out of the guitar instead of relying on electronics to shape the tone. (And that's spoken by someone who likes to use the electronics a lot.) I had a semester of classical guitar in college, and it was some of the toughest guitar playing I've ever had to do. The instrument is physically harder to play than an electric guitar, and the traditional techniques (how you hold the guitar and how you position your hands) make it even harder. I'd have a much harder time playing parts of this song than the girl's song. :)

Of course, this is all just my subjective opinion. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other guitar players. ;)

.......... I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other guitar players. ;)

Alright, I'll jump in........until the real players join the session :rofl:...The boy definitely has the tougher tune IMO, shred has it's place but I have yet to be convinced that's it anything emotional. Granted there are some fine pieces out there, but the majority of them to me, is just a show of speed without much feel.

Though I will give them both credit for making my eyes light up, but then again anyone could do that by shinning a flashlight in my ear :D

I'll echo everything Vaughn said ... only to accentuate something I think he was trying to get across: This is just ONE song per player. We're talking the songs, not the players so much, I think. The style of the song has a lot to do with the feel. Some people are moved by shred ... some are moved by ballads. Neither moved me especially much other than the sheer ability of the players.

Funny enough - shred has a LOT of theory and musical knowledge behind it. Amidst all those notes being played, there's a bunch of actual math and such behind it. For ME personally, that strips the emotion out of it unless the song is exceptionally moving. Both of these kids deserve abundant careers if their talent extends beyond just these two songs. I'd put my money on the boy as he clearly feels the music and in my mind you have to feel it yourself in order for your listeners to feel it too. I can copy soulful stuff note-for-note but it loses something if i don't feel it...

Both kids are great ... I'd give the boy a slight edge on emotion though that's very subjective. It's impossible to compare across very different genres and even moreso when you start talking subjective things like emotion. Either of them is amazing at playing their respective songs. Personally, i'll take the song that gives way to the time between the notes as much as the notes themselves :)

it's what you don't play that often hits hardest :)

Stu, I think the girl's video was recorded at home. And by emotion, I'm not talking about things like facial expressions and movement...I'm talking about the emotions that the playing elicits in the listener. She plays a lot of notes. He tells a story. ;)

Jay, in my opinion and from my experience, the boy's playing is more technically and physically demanding.

The girl has great technique, but is essentially playing a lot of fast scales and arpeggios. Her left hand is doing a lot of repetitious movements in different locations on the neck. It's like drumming her fingers on a table, but doing it very accurately. Her right hand is primarily playing a steady stream of 1/32 (or 1/64) notes. It's fast, but not all that technically demanding. Also, she played with very little dynamics...her volume stayed at a constant level. But from the looks of this interview, she's aware of the need to expand her "vocabulary" as well as her technique. Lastly, she's playing through electronic distortion and echo devices that "fatten up" her sound quite a bit. Not discounting her playing, though. What she's doing, she's doing very well, though. I doubt I could play that song these days, but I could pull off parts of it with just a little practice.

The boy is showing a wider range of skills with both hands, and some of the chord/melody positions his left hand is in are difficult (and get painful pretty quickly). His right hand is doing all sorts of techniques, and doing them all expertly. Also notice his dynamics...the soft parts and the loud parts. That helps add to the emotional impact of the music. And it's just him and the guitar. (And the traffic noises outside, LOL.) He's pulling good tone out of the guitar instead of relying on electronics to shape the tone. (And that's spoken by someone who likes to use the electronics a lot.) I had a semester of classical guitar in college, and it was some of the toughest guitar playing I've ever had to do. The instrument is physically harder to play than an electric guitar, and the traditional techniques (how you hold the guitar and how you position your hands) make it even harder. I'd have a much harder time playing parts of this song than the girl's song. :)

Of course, this is all just my subjective opinion. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other guitar players. ;)

I'm not a guitar player, but I have an appreciation for most forms of music. My only personal 'contribution' to music was playing trumpet in junior high band and I made it to first chair in ninth grade. My bad - I put the trumpet down when I started high school (10th grade back then) and never tooted it again.

As has been said, the girl's playing is technically quite good. I looked back through her videos and it seemed there was a bit more emotion in her playing when she was on the acoustic guitar. In the first video, it looks like the guitar is almost as big as she was! Again, she sounded technically correct all along. Perhaps on her electric guitar videos she was trying to exhibit the 'cool rocker' thing with her almost expressionless appearance? In the OP video, she exhibited more body language than before and, when I looked away and just listened, her playing seemed to have more emotion.

On the other hand, the boy exhibits his emotion in body language as well as a lot of emotion with his guitar. I started his video, watched a minute of it, then clicked back to this page so I was only hearing his performance. The emotion was there in his music.

I can't get my head wrapped around the mind/finger coordination required to play either style. I have trouble keeping track of my fingers, let alone letting them loose on a stringed instrument!;)