New to woodworking. Need walnut matchstick advice

Mike Frencel

Hi Guys,

I'm new to woodworking and was wondering if you guys could maybe give me some advice. New as in NEW, i only built one table so far but i think it came out well. Pics below because im proud of myself :eek:

98bngm.png

I have 2 long thin slabs of walnut coming in and would like to get some advice on what i can make out of them. So far all i see is benches :(

Here is a pic of what i think i could do with them:
2gv4emw.jpg

So red lines are cut lines and the bowties are bowtie joints

Here is a unmarked pic in-case anyone wants to draw on it :)
jh96xe.jpg

Would appreciate any advice.:D

Hi, Mike! Welcome to the Family! :wave:

Your table looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Just a quick look at your slabs, I can see why you're thinking benches. I have never worked with slabs like that, but with rough cut lumber I get, unless I have a plan already, I wait to see what the wood tells me it wants to be. With your slabs, I see a possibility of combining sections of both and making a coffee table with natural edge in the center as well as the edges.

By the way, where are you located?

Do the dimensions work to be a headboard on a king bed? Keep the branches on the right side of the right piece, use that as the bottom piece and have the height just right so a bit of branch sticks up above the mattress. Not enough so that you can also see the bottom supports, but enough so it looks like the branches are the supports.