Pork Shoulder for pulled pork

Rob, what is with this acronym stuff???? PID????? Weren't you just complaining about codes???
On the trial run, don't invite guests. Better to tell everyone how good it was instead of a bunch of people telling about your failure!
Sounds like it turned out good overall, guess if it was real easy everyone would do it!

My two cents, {which are not refundable due to the 'each their own' rules of meat & fire concoctions} consist of my usual process. I start by marinating most cuts of roast that I'm going to smoke. I use it as much for flavoring as well as an initial start to the break down process. I use a dash of Worcestershire, a splash of steak sauce followed by a shake or two of soy sauce{for the salt} into a zip-lock bag or a covered bowl depending on size of the cut, then fill to cover with water. I let this set for anywhere from an hour to overnight, whatever strikes the moment and how tough of a cut it may be.

My basic dry rub is very similar to Brent's except I use brown sugar over plain/white. I also use a drip pan under the meat to not only aid in clean-up but to hold some beer{or juice, whatever} to help keep things moist inside the housing. I'm not sure if the fluids actually import any moisture into the cut, or if it just keeps the air saturated which helps in avoiding any major drying out.

The rest falls to temperature control and keeping the smoke going for at least 1/3 of the cook time. Which I prefer to happen all on the beginning end of things.

And FWIW, when the rare experiment goes wrong, having a couple of UN-picky dogs around makes secret keeping easy. ;):D

Just cracked this one open. Pulled at 0900...foil, towel and in the oven just for insulation purposes. Good bark and the bone came right out. I'll put about half in sauce to heat up and the rest will end up shredded for goodies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379880752394.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379880752394.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 20
Oh Jim yours looks great. I did not get a red/ pink ring. Wont give up just try a different recipe and temp next time. :)

Hey i had some today that did not get the sauce dunking by my wife and it was not bad. I think i was a little hard on myself after being disappointed with how late we ate.

One thing one of my French Canadian friends chatted to me about that i wanna try now is smoked salmon. I love fish and especially Salmon so i think that will be next.

Thanks Brent your tips and analysis are dead on.

Jonathan i do apologize after picking on u the other day there i go using a abbreviation. PID = http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller sorry i realise its a trap thats easy to fall into.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob if your gonna do the Salmon I would recommend just take a mixture of 4 part salt 4 parts Brown sugar a little dill and pepper mix it together and coat the salmon well. If you think you need a little moisture you can use a little water or even a little vodka. Not a lot just a sprinkle. Put the Salmon in a plastic bag skin side down in the frig. After 12 hours turn it and leave it alone for another 12 hours. If you need to you can leave it in the frig for a bit longer. Remove it from the bag and place directly on the smoker. Smoke for 4 hours at 150. I have been doing Salmon this way for over 30 years. You can do any fish this way but I learned on Salmon when I was visiting my brother in law in Washington state.

Sorry things didn't go as planned Rob. Trying a new recipe on guests for the first time is tough sometimes. I hardly ever cook brisket or pork butt on the day I eat it. Typically I'll cook a smoker full of it and freeze it for re-heating in food saver bags. After smelling the smoke all day, the food isn't all that appetizing to me.

For the butt I'll soak and inject brine (1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup apple juice, 2 quart water), Let it soak overnight, I usually do a mustard (yellow) slather, let that cook for about 1/2 - 1 hour and then add rub after the mustard has thickened some. I cook at 225 for about 5 hours, pan and cover the butt with foil adding a little beer for steam, and then cook until it hits about 195.

...One thing one of my French Canadian friends chatted to me about that i wanna try now is smoked salmon. I love fish and especially Salmon so i think that will be next...

I'm not much of a fish eater, but one of the best things I've ever smoked was albacore tuna. I had a co-worker get into a mess of albacore on a fishing trip off the Mexican coast and he brought back 50 or 60 pounds of fillets. I smoked a bunch of it for him, and got to take some fillets for myself. I just did it with no seasoning and covered the top of the fillets with thinly-sliced lemons, but Don's method sounds real tasty, too. :thumb:

I like to slow roast Boston butts and picnics after marinating them in a simple mixture of cayenne pepper and vinegar which I also baste with during the roasting process. We roast our pork butts at 285-300 degrees for about 20 minutes per pound so they get a nice brown outside. The important thing is to make sure that the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 145. That is the new USDA safety recommendation for internal temperature for pork. So now it is possible to safely eat pink pork.

The pork producers guidelines are 350 degrees and 20 minutes per pound but my mama always cooked her butts at 300 or less so they did not dry out as much.

I'm not much of a fish eater, but one of the best things I've ever smoked was albacore tuna. I had a co-worker get into a mess of albacore on a fishing trip off the Mexican coast and he brought back 50 or 60 pounds of fillets. I smoked a bunch of it for him, and got to take some fillets for myself. I just did it with no seasoning and covered the top of the fillets with thinly-sliced lemons, but Don's method sounds real tasty, too. :thumb:
The recipe for the cure and the cureing process is actually one for making gravlox so the fish can actually be eaten after it is cured that's why you cold smoke it. Just vary the smoke time to suit your tast.