Minor Gloat.........

Stuart Ablett

Well, I'm S-T-I-L-L waiting to hear back from Woodcraft and that International tool company on shipping for the parallel clamps, I did find some OK "F" style clamps on Yahoo here, cost about $6 US each to my door..........not bad....:dunno:

ten_new_12_inch_clamps.jpg

The open out to just over 12".

and to show you how badly I NEED some new clamps..........

clamps_3_sizes.jpg

I have 12 of the smallest ones, 19 of the medium ones and 10 of the largest ones, aside from that I have two quick clamp things and four 6' long bar pipe clamps..............

Yep, I NEED some more clamps.

Cheers!

.......and you know, just so you understand why guys like Alex and I pay shipping and order from overseas.........

http://www.artisansspirits.com/clamp/barclamp.html

109283.jpg

Cabinet Master Clamps.

The real thing, now for the prices......

109-283 12" 9400円 = $78.30
109-286 18" 10100円 = $84.17
109-289 24" 10600円 = $88.33
109-292 30" 11600円 = $96.66
109-295 36" 12200円 = $101.66
109-298 48" 13200円 = $110.00

Ok guys, that price is for ONE clamp :eek:

See what I mean? :rolleyes:

Stu,

I've got a bunch of those economy F clamps. (Most from LVT, but a couple from Canadian Tire)
open-far.jpg

And they're used all the time. Compact, light, but good clamping strength, and non-mar pads. In fact, they're the main reason that I haven't (yet) bought any Parallel Clamps in the 12" size. (Just got some 24s and 40s)

The 24" F-clamps aren't much good, as the bar starts to flex pretty quickly when you clamp it hard, but for light jobs it's ok. The 12" size is the best.
I haven't bought any 6" size, as the 12" is pretty much good enough. Rarely have I encountered a situation where a 6" would work better than a 12"

...art

Thanks for the feedback Art!
Crappy Tire eh :D :thumb:

I think I'll buy another 10 of these clamps, I only bought the first ten to see how good/bad they are, they will do fine for the 12" and under clamping.

I do want (NEED TO!!) to buy some 24" Bessys or Jets......

Cheers!

.......and you know, just so you understand why guys like Alex and I pay shipping and order from overseas.........

http://www.artisansspirits.com/clamp/barclamp.html

109283.jpg

Cabinet Master Clamps.

The real thing, now for the prices......

109-283 12" 9400円 = $78.30
109-286 18" 10100円 = $84.17
109-289 24" 10600円 = $88.33
109-292 30" 11600円 = $96.66
109-295 36" 12200円 = $101.66
109-298 48" 13200円 = $110.00

Ok guys, that price is for ONE clamp :eek:

See what I mean? :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks like you could save some bucks if someone bought them here, then ship them to you. Workable?

Might be Steve, but what I have to do is wait for Woodcraft to get hold of me on the shipping of the ones I've ordered.

I'm also thinking about ordering a few extra, and selling them on Yahoo auction here, that way it would at least pay the shipping...........:dunno:

Got to see what Woodcraft says.....

Cheers!

I love good F-clamps. I watch places like Big Lots, local discount stored, closeout places. I buy all the GOOD F-clamps they get in. For the money I would rather have 5-6 of those than one Bessy. Not knocking the Bessy/clones. Just quantity wins with clamps in my shop.

I think that in BC they have some "Beer and wine stores" but they are usually attached to a pub in some way, besides that, I went to the BIGGEST wine store in BC, in Vancouver, and the most expensive bottle of wine they had was just over $150 cdn............ :eek:

Man I have bottles that are worth 10 times that, and special sets that are worth $3k to $4k............ the market for good wine (where you REALLY can make money) is limited in Canada, so I'll stay put for now!

I am really liking these 12" F clamps, not the best quality, but for about $6 each......... :rolleyes:

I'm going to order another 20 of them, that should do me for the smaller clamps, I think.

Got the quote back from Woodcraft.............are you sitting down...........I ordered 8 40" bessys and 4 24" bessys, they want $427 for the clamps and $230 for the shipping :eek:

I think I'll change my order to 12 24" clamps and see how that is........... I'm still looking for someone to ship me some Jet clamps, but the various online shops that I have contacted have not replied, great way to do business eh.....? :huh:

Cheers!

BTW, the handles on these cheap clamps are smallish and slick, hard to get a good grip on them, so I took my block plane and made some flats on the handles.........

handle1.jpg handle2.jpg handle3.jpg

Boy did this make a HUGE difference in how much grip you can get! :thumb:

all_handles.jpg

So I did the rest of my clamps!! :D

Cheers!

Got the quote back from Woodcraft.............are you sitting down...........I ordered 8 40" bessys and 4 24" bessys, they want $427 for the clamps and $230 for the shipping :eek:

I think I'll change my order to 12 24" clamps and see how that is........... I'm still looking for someone to ship me some Jet clamps, but the various online shops that I have contacted have not replied, great way to do business eh.....? :huh:

Cheers!

Stu... Some random thoughts.

- Isn't there a Woodcraft store in Hawaii? What about contacting them directly? I would think the shipping from Hawaii would be a lot less than from the mainland.

- Tried any stores in Canada? Try Dave at Federated Tool (sales@FederatedTool.com) and see what his quote would be. He usually has good prices on Gross+Stabil parallel clamps. I have no idea how shipping from Canada would be. But he is here in London, Ont. You might want to try someone out in Vancouver instead, probably cheaper shipping from there. Maybe ask on one of the Canadian Forums?

- Sorry, my business doesn't take me into Asia at all. Seems you could use a friend who is making the trip to bring some along.

...art

Stu,

I went to check how much UPS is for about 50lbs to Tokyo . . .. Holy Cow!!! If you know of a viable shipping method I would be glad to pack and drop off something for you. The only downside is that I'm in California but it doesn't seem like getting across the country is the expensive part. I could receive some clamps (or whatever) for you and pack them well and get them to a depot of some sort. Please PM me if you would like to pursue this.

Glenn

Glenn, thanks very much!

I have Greg Cook taking delivery of the clamps (seems they were shipped individually!!) and he is going to repack them and send them to me! :thumb:

Greg knows all about the shipping problems to Japan, as he used to live here.

Just the same, I'll keep you as a back up Glenn :D :wave:

Cheers!