Turning a bowl on an Older Craftsman tube lathe

Mike Turner

I gave my son an older tube type Craftsman lathe. (He lives about 100 miles from me) When he has time he wants to experiment doing a bowl on it. I know it aint like my Jet 1642 but he just wants to give it a try. I know the capacity would be limited and he would need to rough it as good as possible with his chainsaw before putting it on the lathe. Anybody ever turned a bowl on one of these???

That's how my BIL started me out. He had the worst technique and only 3 tools...but the stuff he made, even to this day is beautiful! His died a while ago...but I take my 1014 up now and then. He thinks it great...just cuz my 1642 won't sit well in the truck!! I think they have a MT 1...his does. Glue blocks are what he did on the tube so maybe thats a good place to start.

That's how I started. It was my 2nd lathe after my Jet 1014 and before my Jet 1642. It worked just fine with sharp tools and reasonable technique. It has a #1 MT and 3/4"x16tpi spindle thread. I did a large 10" maple burl bowl on it no problem. A fairly balanced blank is a good place to start. Definitely a good starter lathe.