guess I read something wrong

Paul Douglass

I'm working on putting a finish on a spanish cedar cigar box. It is soft so I stained it and then planned on putting a coat or two of sanding sealer on it before the final finish. I read a couple tutorials on the internet about applying sanding sealer and they both said (I thought) to thin the sanding sealer with mineral spirit, 50/50. Well I tried that this AM and this is what I came up with. The more I stirred the thicker the glob got! Did wrong, or maybe something is wrong with my sanding sealer?

IMG_1761.JPG

I really don't know. I had put into a smaller container do keep it better sealed after I had used half the original bottle. Which should I buy? I am thinking I will use shellac as the final finish.

I hope that you are putting the sealer on the OUTSIDE of the box, if the Spanish Cedar is lining the box then you should leave the wood unfinished.
The sanding sealer I use here in Japan is thinned with Lacquer Thinner.
Cheers!

It looks like the Mylands sealer is lacquer-based, so lacquer thinner would be the way to go to thin it. For a final finish, I'd suggest staying with lacquer of some type, or just using the sealer alone.

Is the outside of the box spanish cedar as well? I've never seen a humidor with a spanish cedar exterior, just always lined with it.