Part out or sell it whole?

Jeff Horton

I have two restorations coming up that will need 2hp motors or bigger.

I have a Delta LD Shaper in my shop I traded for. It has a Dayton 2hp reversible motor on it. Assuming I can't find a vintage motor this would be a good choice for either machine. I have a bit more in this one than I would want to part it out. But a new motor is going to cost more than I have in it.

Which boils down to how much demand is there for an LD shaper, whole or parts? Anyone here even have an LD? Need parts?

Thought about keeping the motor and selling the shaper sans motor.

Just looking for input. Not trying to sell this to anyone on here.

Not sure on that one Jeff.

You need motors?

I've got some spares. 1 and 3 phase

I have two restorations coming up that will need 2hp motors or bigger.

I have a Delta LD Shaper in my shop I traded for. It has a Dayton 2hp reversible motor on it. Assuming I can't find a vintage motor this would be a good choice for either machine. I have a bit more in this one than I would want to part it out. But a new motor is going to cost more than I have in it.

Which boils down to how much demand is there for an LD shaper, whole or parts? Anyone here even have an LD? Need parts?

Thought about keeping the motor and selling the shaper sans motor.

Just looking for input. Not trying to sell this to anyone on here.

There are places on the planet which are equipment deserts. Right here where I live seems to become a desert any time I start looking for something, so I guess there's going to be some sort of demand for it somewhere.

I know you weren't looking to sell it, but if you decide not to part it out and want to sell it sans moteur, let me know please? And, if you have a good used wood lathe to sell with it, that would be nice too ....

cheers eh?

John ... who is always the second caller any time a nice bit of machinery is advertised for sale.

John, considering I am, oh, 1,000 mile and across the border. I don't think shipping would be worth it.

Plus I did some homework and I am pretty sure I can par it out and get my money back and still keep the motor for another project. It's a shame but there isn't as much demand for a whole LD shaper as there is for the part and pieces.

I've got a guy in South Africa that probably wants the motor mount already.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I understand the "parting out" thing. I collect antique radios and several times I've advertised a radio at a far cheaper price than I eventually parted it for. What's really amusing is when one person buys more in parts than they would have paid for the whole thing :dunno: ... including shipping :huh: ... and I've seen that more than once.

cheers eh?