Curly Cherry Plasma TV Stand

Overview: It has been a long time in the process, but here is my latest creation. It’s an adaptation of a Thos. Moser design. It was built for client who wanted to show off his 50” plasma screen TV. I’ve never built anything like this before and it was quite a challenge to figure out how I wanted to build it. This project seemed to fight me every step of the way. But I’m grateful that it turned out as well as it did.

Wood: Cherry in all it’s forms along with hard maple drawers with birch ply bottoms. Today it is very overcast – of course. The day I finally get to snap some shots, and the sun isn’t out! Needless to say, the figure really pops in the sun!

Hardware: All hardware is from Horton Brass except the L brackets which are from the local Borg and then blued using Gun Blue. The drawer slides from Lee Valley.

Finish: I opted not to use an undercoat of BLO on this project. Because of all the separate parts, I figured I wanted to do as little finishing steps as possible so I shot just straight lacquer.

I think that's about it. If I left anything out, I'm sure you'll let me know.

Thanks and have a blessed weekend!!!

Attachments

• Curly Plasma Stand 1.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Curly Plasma Stand 2.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 77
  • Curly Plasma Stand 3.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Curly Plasma Stand 4.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Curly Plasma Stand 5.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Curly Plasma Stand 6.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 6.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Curly Plasma Stand 7.jpg
    Curly Plasma Stand 7.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 75
Very nice work, Jason. Of course that's par for the course with you. ;) I really like the details on the sides of the cabinet. Glad to see you sharing some pics here. :clap:

An extremely beautiful piece of furniture. I really love the design. I live right here in Maine where Thomas Moser builds his furniture and I've gone to his showroom in Portland. He would truly like what you have designed and built. Nice job!

glad to see your back

well jason another one for the book or mag's,, now how did you attach the carcase to the rest of it. looks like the top can move all it wants. some real nice cherry.

how did you attach the carcase to the rest of it.

Thanks everyone for the kind and generous comments.

Larry, the box fits into the frame and rests on the L brackets. On the half-lap frame, just below the table top, I attached cross pieces that touch the inside carcase in just the center 3" or so of the carcase - this way the "floating" look won't be diminished in any way. Then I drove a screw up from the carcase into the cross piece. Because it's centered, I shouldn't have a problem with expansion and contraction. I hope this makes sense, but it probably doesn't. Sorry, I'm better at building than putting into words what I actually did. :dunno: :p

Fantastic

Jason

thanks for the post, now we know where you've been, being productive in the workshop!

Seriously, wonderful work, great design, what more can I say?

Jay

Jay, sorry I haven't been around much, but you're right. Every spare second has been trying to get this thing done and fulfill my other non-internet responsibilities :D Thanks for the kind words.

Jason, you work, is always a treat to get to see, thanks for sharing it with us all!

An inspiration for sure!

What do you use to spray the lacquer?

Cheers!

That is a beautiful job, Jason. You never fail to please. I would like to offer a suggestion. Next time you might consider a more traditional approach to the drawers, like wood runners, or switch to undermount slides (there are many excellent undermount systems available today at not that much more of a premium.) I feel it is a shame to muddy up the great work on the drawers with those types of slides. The dovetails completely get passed over as your eye is drawn to that industrial steel look.

Thanks for sharing, your craftsmanship shines thru.