New twist on an old device

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
After dinner the other night, my wife and I stopped in over at Restoration Hardware, saw these two gramophone type of devices. Neither require power, they port the sound from the bottom of the iphone/ipod/ipad to the horn, which they claim to be 4 to 5 times louder.

2013-09-27 18.36.55.jpg2013-09-27 18.37.08.jpg

I have no doubt that they work. When I'm in the kitchen I have a lightweight plastic bowl that is about 8" in diameter, I tilt it up against the backstop of the counter, and stick my iPhone into the bowl, with the bottom of the iPhone facing the bottom of the bowl. It is a LOT louder than just the iPhone on it's own.

How much do they want for the new fangled doo-dad?

Cheers!

The logo on the bottom part of the horn should say, "RCA Victor" and there should be a black and white dog (dalmation?).

In the Old Days a horn like that could take the vibration of a phonograph needle in a phonograph record and make it loud enough that people could dance to it in the school gym. Not the people of today and not the noisy gym of today. But soft music, soft partner, fluttering heart all seemed to work fine---all done acoustically, no electronics, in fact probably no electricity. Most of these machines were wound up with a hand crank.

Ah, "The Good Ole Days." Or translated: "Poor Memory."

Enjoy,
JimB