Goodbye to another old friend...

Roger Tulk

Besides being my 36th anniversary today, we decided that today is the best time to take Maggie, our Springer Spaniel, to be put down. She's somewhere between 14 and 17 years old, partially blind, deaf, and recently incontinent.The vet thinks she may have cancer, and we didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on more tests, so we decided to let her go today. We are going away for a week on Thursday, and we didn't want to leave my son and DIL to clean up her messes.

I'm very sad just now, but she had a good, happy life, and was a very sweet, playful dog. We will miss her.

maggie.jpg

sorry to hear this roger, and i also fully understand the feelings.. but as jonathan said look for another to fill the void, they make our lives here much more enjoyable!

So sorry Roger but you did good. We did the same to/for our Baley a few weeks back. Different issues but still the same: because of the care we gave him he outlived his body's ability to cope. The vet had taken care of this true mutt for years and though he actually cried with us, he stated that he wished he knew some one could do the same for him if he got in that shape. I still find it hard to talk about...but don't really miss him as seeing him suffer was taking the joy out of being with him.. Sorry for rambling on your thread. But know you aren't alone........

Awww shoot Roger. My sympathies go out to you. That's always a hard decision, but you know when its right.

Rainbow_Bridge.jpg

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Sorry to hear of your loss Roger. Been there...done that.... and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I do know what your going through. Looked like a great dog.

So many of us have BTDT. And it hurts each and every time. Enjoy the memories and know there is another pup out there waiting just for you.

I am very sorry for your loss, Roger. I came to realize that a pet digs a deep hole in your heart and when they leave us, it is very empty. But after time, another one comes along and starts digging their own, separate hole in your heart. Just a little of their dirt makes it over to the hole the first one left. It never really fills it, but helps ease the depth of it. I hope you will let a new hole-maker into your life...they are worth it :)

Thanks again! I got her over to the Humane Society, and had to leave her tied up outside while I went in to talk to the desk clerk. She offered me a room where they allow clients to "spend a little time" with their old friends. I said "NO," a little abruptly, then she said (After I'd signed the forms and paid) "When you're ready you can bring her in." I went straight outside and brought her in, as I'd said my goodbyes, and after all, she's a dog and didn't know what was happening. She walked into the building with me in absolute trust, which was heartbeaking in its own way, but I didn't want to prolong things as I needed to be able to drive my truck with clear eyes. I must say kudos to the Humane Society for being kind and gentle about the whole thing.

I do have another dog, as I mentioned. Pepper is two, and will probably be my last dog, as I will be in my seventies when she passes away, barring accident. She's a wonderful gentle creature full of love, and her enthusiastic greeting is a tonic for any bad feeling:

Pepper.jpg

This picture was taken last year, and she has grown into those ears since. I wasn't going to use the other pic, as it's on its side, but I don't know how to unattach it. She's almost two, and graduating from beginner obedience, and is about 80lb. in that picture, even though she looks kinda small.

Attachments

• Roger's Dog.jpg
    Roger's Dog.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator: