First step into working with newer electronics

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I have a project I've been messing around with for a while and finally found a device to do temperature measurements, but couldn't find one that was already assembled. Assembly wouldn't normally be a problem, but it uses several of micro sized surface mount components. So I finally took the leap and bought some new soldering tools/supplies.

A hot air rework soldering station, tweezers (a must), and a jewelers loupe (another must).
2013-09-30 19.11.57.jpg2013-09-30 19.12.05.jpg

This is the board, I soldered all of the surface mount components first. The loupe was a must as those numbers and symbols are mighty hard to see without it. Also comes in handy to inspect the solder joints. The solder used was actually a paste that comes in a syringe, basically a flux with very fine solder particles in it that melt and connects itself to only the metal contacts.
2013-09-30 20.28.10.jpg

Next I added the through-hole components and used my 15w iron to solder those.
2013-09-30 21.03.18.jpg

This is the completed shield attached to an arduino micro processor.
2013-09-30 21.32.10.jpg

This is a video of how the solder paste works...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqivHi7Qjvk

Here is a example of someone just using a toaster oven at about 400* to do all the surface mount soldering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN8fzpigTGM

Last edited:
sure beats what I used to go through when I got out of the Navy.I worked as a service tech for an electronics manufacturer. Of course we were soldering transistors then we finally got around to integrated circuits before I moved on out of that department.....:eek:

You should see some of the micro electronics that I built (mainly high-fidelity sound systems). I mean a capacitor was only about 3/8" in diameter and a typical resistor about a quarter of an inch in diameter and 1 1/8 inches long. The sockets for the electronic tubes were usually 1 1/8 inch in diameter though some were larger. A top quality 50 watt output (sound to speakers) transformer could easily hit 5 pounds.

So, if you ever need to know anything about micro electronics, just PM me.

Enjoy,
JimB

Did I mention "The Good Ole Days?"

Cool stuff. I'd never heard of hot air soldering.

The "iron" can be set to different temps on the front of the control unit, there is a fan and heating element in the iron part. Will get to 350* in about 2 seconds. The iron turns on and off with movement, set it down and it goes into a cool down mode, then powers off. Works really well for taking components off of boards too, can heat all the connections at the same time and lift them right off.

It's a cheap Chinese brand, bought from here: http://www.sainsmart.com/other-1/ho...-suitable-for-smd-soic-chip-qfp-plcc-bga.html

So, if you ever need to know anything about micro electronics, just PM me.
"

Will do. I have the feeling you know more about electronics that I'll ever know Jim.

...So, if you ever need to know anything about micro electronics, just PM me...

:rofl:

Seriously, if I lived closer to you I'd have you help me figure out what's wrong with one of my tube guitar amps, a Fender Deluxe Reverb. It's been years since I plugged it in (plus now it's 800 miles away), but the last time I did, it burned up one or two new tubes in a matter of minutes. And since you get to tell your old-timer stories, here's mine: My parents bought that Fender amp for me when I was in about 6th grade. It was used...a few years old at the time. They paid $200 for it, which was a pretty big chunk of change for most folks in the mid to late '60s. That amp saw a lot of miles and a lot of shows. Fast forward to this evening, I saw a used Fender Deluxe at Guitar Center from the same vintage, and it was priced at $1299.99. Just goes to show that buying good tools pays off in the end. ;)

Oh i wish you had not posted that link Darren ;) you are evil :) i feel the force pulling me into this vortex....i was eyeing a second hand oscilloscope the other day. :) But i have been strong and am resisting ...at this stage.:)

Well Jim you make me feel real old. I studied electronics and in those days we started with valves and valve theory but went all the way thru to microprocessesors which were just getting going in my first year.

Cool things the thermionic valve .....they a good starting point to understanding transistors and if ever there is an emp (electromagnetic pulse) set off well Vaughns amp might well be the only electronic thing working. Valves are not affected by emp so keep those old valve radios:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Darren,
You left out a word. I will put an underscore in where it goes.

"Will do. I have the feeling you know more about antique electronics that I'll ever know Jim."

Well, I don't know much about it any more. Remember my previous signature, "Don't get old; your brains leak out."

I suppose I should brag and say, "I have a magnificent brain leak."

Vaughn,

I still know an octal socket from a loctal and I know a #80 from a 2A3 from a #99 vacuum tube. Since that is about it ("
Seriously, if I lived closer to you I'd have you help me figure out what's wrong with one of my tube guitar amps,") you really don't want me in the same city as your Fender Deluxe.

By the way the #99 was often used by Ham Radio operators as their transmitting tube. It put out a magnificent 1 watt of power. My dad could (the atmospheric layers being nice) carry on conversations from San Bernardino, CA to New York or Florida. Of course he had to be using the correct antenna and it had to be tuned just right.

Enjoy,
JimB

At that time I was about 3 or 4 years old (I am now 2 months from age 88) and the airways were practically empty. It was kind of like the skies---there were so few airplanes in the sky that you didn't have to file a flight plan (There was no place to file it anyway.). You just got in the airplane, made sure all the parts worked and that you had gas and oil, took off and went wherever the plane was capable of taking you (you couldn't get over most mountains).

Shut up Bradley

Last edited: