The Friday Thread 10/4/2013 - Whazzup?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a busy weekend here in Albuquerque. The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta starts this weekend, so I'll probably be spending some time on the balloon field with some of my old ballooning friends. (I used to be heavily involved in the sport until I broke my back...can't handle some of the physical aspects of being on a crew these days.) I'll be sure to post some pics once I get them. (The Balloon Fiesta is one of the most photographed events in the world every year. Back in the film camera heyday, Kodak claimed it was second only to the Rose Parade for film sales every year.)

I'm also playing a gig Sunday afternoon at a local pub (4:00 to 7:00 at O'Niell's on Juan Tabo, for any of you who are in the area.) This should be a fun one, since there will be a number of friends and relatives in town for the balloons who will get to see us for the first time.

So...what have you go going this weekend?

Not sure what's on the plate tonight. Tomorrow morning I have to go help my sister and BIL, they have a guy coming to saw up a bunch of logs for them and asked if I could help stack as they come off the mill. On the way home I need to pickup a couple of pieces of furniture we ordered as well as a new chest freezer. I also got the hardware for the dresser, so need to get the drawer boxes built on Sunday and get things sanded down for finishing. Will need to get some walls patched as well, so may start that tonight.

what a miserable day. spent the day on my belly pulling steel staples out of the floor. Most stubborn staples Ive ever experience, had to pry each one out with a screwdriver, then yank them. Unpleasant, but its done, and the windows go in Tuesday.
Tonight, big celebration, my wifes birthday, Im taking all the kids, bil, sil, nieces, all out to dinner to celebrate.
Probably go to my favorite Italian, wifes favorite also, some good food, some wine for everyone except me, and then back home as I picked up a cake today from a local pastry shop.(a cake I cannot eat, but let everyone else enjoy)
Then the weekend gets better, heading up north a bit sunday to meet Sayer and his wife and they are having an outdoor make your own pizza party.
Will stay up there at a hotel so I can take my wife shopping Monday morning for her birthday.(theres a tremendous outlet center up there)
pretty full and enjoyable weekend.

My neice will officially crowned homecoming queen tonight at a HS football game, but strong storms are on the way so not sure it will happen. Happy for her, but I get unexpected shop time if it is raining!:D Tomorrow the temps are suppose to drop aobut 30 degress from today so I put some firewood in the garage to stay dry so we can have a fire out back and listen to football while sipping something. :rolleyes: Sunday will be more shop time, before and after the Packers game, to finish up a bunch of stuff for a show I have next Saturday.

Carol, do it again tomorrow and the next day, and the next day then hit snooze a few more times. You've earned it! :thumb:

Working Saturday till 3:00 then off to a grand daughters 1st birthday party.
Sunday church, shop time and Sunday dinner. Will probably sneak a little football watching from time to time.

At the moment, my weekend plans involve sleeping past 6am tomorrow, (hopefully)... then some quality time in the shop... cutting boards, ship's ladder, etc...pics when I make some progress tomorrow.

Good for you to get some down time off the job !!

I saw a ladder like you want to make in the Rockler catalog the other day.

Nice weekend here..Not much going on Saturday but really looking forward to Sunday. Allen and his wife are coming for a wood fired pizza day. Should be a great day, will leave the picture posts up to Allen...

Well, today (Friday) has been mostly a kick-back day. No real shop time or whatever, but I spent a major part of the day on some SketchUp drawings.

Saturday will include a little shop time on some details with the book stand and candle holders for our neighbor's church. Then (hopefully) the rest of the day will include lots of time with LOML and grillin' some nice ribeyes!

Sunday should be our usual brunch, total laziness and watch the wind blow. Oh, wait...we might be gettin' some REAL wind by then..........

Made the biggest pour, for me anyway...3/4 gallon around a piece of I-dunno-what in a gallon paint can in my pressure pot, 50psi for 24 hours on a PR casting. More to follow after the alien armadillos fly east from Washington and drop off coffee beans.
More studies and maybe some pulled pork sammies in a sauce that just rocks! Picked up a couple work days up north in Nov so my sweetie will be happy.

Just got back from a four day 'gadabout.' Stopped off up there in Michigan to spend a few hours with Larry and Randi (Sorry, no pics, but you already know how ugly both Larry and I are) :D After that, some time down in Northeast Indiana - Shipshewana, and Warsaw - then back to Ohio, and a stopover at Sauder Village.

Good friends; Good food; Good times; and an all-around good trip. Now, off to pick up doggy from her hotel...

Blew out the irrigation system this afternoon, but it took ~ 6 hrs instead of the normal hr or so. Part of the backflow preventer ingested itself & spat out some metal (brass) fragments into a couple of zone valves.. Naturally this caused leakage in those two ZVs which prevented enough pressurized air to reach any of the other ten zones. So, I had to hunt down some replacement parts to get things back together. Next up are the irrigation systems of several neighbors which I take care of as well. Could be a long day tomorrow. - hope the weather holds

In parallel with this, I'm making some progress with the BS jewelry box & am making a bench, with casters, to support the new oscillating sander & the belt/disc sander.

I guess it is time to 'fess up...............I am a Taphophile!! A cemetery nut. For can't remember how many years, my wife and I have visited cemeteries just because. Joined www.findagrave.com about 6 years ago and started posting memorials of deceased so that others could find information about where their ancestors are. This site is an all volunteer group of people with the same goal, memorializing the deceased. I've done over 5000 so far, which is a drop in the bucket compared to other volunteer efforts. Anyway.......to make a short story longer......we recently spent about 3 hours photographing a cemetery with about 1800+ interments and I have since been editing and posting those pics to the site. A large number of my ancestors are included in this particular project. Hey......it keeps me out of the pool hall!!

Also....getting back to woodworking....I am in the process of building a frog table. Details to follow.

Guess I'm husband-less this weekend. I hear he's taking some kind of steel guitar lessons in Chicago, so I guess Brown will be stopping by soon there afterwards. :rofl:

Winter is coming early. First freeze will be tonight, three weeks early. I guess I'll be pulling out the garden tomorrow and stowing away things to the shed, etc. (although after tonight's first freeze, we're right back up into the 70's for several days :dunno:...I guess the side effect of living at a higher elevation.

Carol - You rest up...you deserve it :zzz:

Just got back from a four day 'gadabout.' Stopped off up there in Michigan to spend a few hours with Larry and Randi (Sorry, no pics, but you already know how ugly both Larry and I are) :D After that, some time down in Northeast Indiana - Shipshewana, and Warsaw - then back to Ohio, and a stopover at Sauder Village.

Good friends; Good food; Good times; and an all-around good trip. Now, off to pick up doggy from her hotel...

Those Michigan folks sure know about fine hospitality Jim! Sounds like you had a nice road trip :thumb: