Latest project, a sign for Brook.

John Pollman

Hi folks,
I haven't been doing much woodworking lately. Things aren't so great around here to due my health issues. Many of you here have seen a post I started over in the Off Topic forum about Brook, she's a beautiful little girl who's only 34 months old and is in the final stages of Tay-Sachs disease. She's been doing a little better lately but she doesn't have much time left.

Make A Wish Foundation - New Hampshire has granted her a wish! In the next week or two, they will be delivering and setting up a beautiful little outbuilding in their backyard. Brook rarely ever leaves her living room. That's where she spends her time 24/7. Her mother Kate discussed the project with MAW and they loved the idea! It will be a nice place for them to go and sit to spend some time together out in their yard. After she passes, it will be a place where her mother Kate and big brother Jake can go and sit to remember the time they had with this little angel.

Kate mentioned something about having some sort of sign made for Brook to show that it's her place. I jumped at the chance and told Kate that I'd be honored to make one for her. I started it a couple days ago and finished it up yesterday afternoon.

Here's a pic of the outbuilding that they're receiving, as well as the sign I made for her...

1381543_10202208517042435_264696997_n.jpgbrooks nook sign.jpg

John, it was with great trepidation I opened and read this post. Answered prayers that Brook is amongst us and surrounded by her family's love. Great sign, great work, great spirit and may your health improve.

Thank you all!

It has been tearing me up lately watching what Kate and Jake (Brook's big brother) have been having to deal with. My own situation is not quite as dire, because thankfully my form of the disease isn't generally fatal. But I'm dealing with a lot trying to figure out what I'm going to do to prepare myself as the condition progresses. I haven't been able to work much and I have to try to find some sort of work to do. The anxiety and depression I've been dealing with is horrible. Working on a project like this gave me some time to focus on something other than my disease. It's not much, but at least it's something. I live in Michigan, Kate lives in New Hampshire. I wish I were close enough to be able to help with the assembly of the building and to deliver and hang the sign myself. But it's not just the geographic difficulties that won't allow it.

Hopefully once Brook is at peace, Kate and Jake will look at the sign and the building and remember all of the people out there that came together to try to help in any way they could to comfort this family in it's hour of need.

Brook's big brother Jake is taking this all pretty hard too. (he's only nine) Kate thought it would be nice to have a place in the nook for him. I decided to make a sign for him too. It just needs a clear coat and I'll pack them up and get them shipped.

Big Bros Corner.jpg