Would you turn a pull for me?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've run into a roadblock. I need a small pull turned from white oak for the Stickley clock I am building. As a duly deputized member of the "Ambassador's School of American Woodworking" I do not own a lathe. I've thought about trying to turn it in the drill press with bench chisels, but that just does not strike me as something that would leave all my extremities in tact.

Its a small pull, perhaps 3/8" wide with a 1/2 depth. It would have a 3/8" long 1/4" tenon. Here's as good a picture as I could find of the original. Not much to go on, but if you're a turner you could likely figure it out.
Stickley-Mantle-Clock,-ca.-1911-1364590778.jpg

Any takers?

Of course I will pay for wood, time, postage, packaging, and weed your garden. Well, if you bring the garden to Idaho.:D

Well Rennie, I'm not a turner but I have an old lathe and I have never turned a miniature knob, but I will go down tonight and see what happens if there are no other takers and you are willing to gamble. :rofl:

I could take a stab at it.. no guarantees as to the outcome of course :D No cost for wood (it would just be from scraps anyway) or time, and I don't have a garden so the postage would be COD or you can PM me for my address and send me a self addressed and stamped padded envelope :D You can owe me a barley pop sometime..

I assume the tenon is for attaching it to the door and that you aren't planning to screw it in place, just glue it into a matching hole? Otherwise I'd index on a pre-drilled hole to make sure it was centered...

Looks like the side profile would likely be close to: http://www.daltons.com/gustav/gustavsold/clockdetail3.jpg

You could also go pyramidal although that may not be quite right depending on the rest of the piece: http://readwatchdo.com/2012/03/make-a-stickley-pyramid-pull/

I would do it for ya Rennie but alas I have given my son my turning stuff. SWMBO yells at me every time I go near saw dust or machine that make it. I guess she is tired of seeing me breakout due to allergies. If someone makes wine stoppers that could just use the mandrel from that and that way you could use the threaded hole on the back to mount it to the door. That's how I would do it.

I think I have a couple of pieces of white oak and would be happy to turn one for you. Be better if you could find a profile picture or sketch out a profile. PM me your address and I'll crank one out tomorrow.

Rennie the over all is 7/8 . I just went with the specks you asked for, 3/8 w x 1/2 long, by 3/8 long tenon. And ya when I read your post, ran out to the shop, grabbed a piece of scrap white oak and turned it. So if you want just pm your add and i'll get it to ya. If you want, I can turn a few more real fast but with different profiles and send ya a few to chose from.

Rennie the over all is 7/8 . I just went with the specks you asked for, 3/8 w x 1/2 long, by 3/8 long tenon. And ya when I read your post, ran out to the shop, grabbed a piece of scrap white oak and turned it. So if you want just pm your add and i'll get it to ya. If you want, I can turn a few more real fast but with different profiles and send ya a few to chose from.
I think we have a winner! I'm sending a PM out post haste. Thanks!

Any time I can turn something for you Rennie, don't hesitate to contact me!
Thank you Ken - Much appreciated.
I think I have a couple of pieces of white oak and would be happy to turn one for you. Be better if you could find a profile picture or sketch out a profile. PM me your address and I'll crank one out tomorrow.
Thanks!

If my lathe wasn't 800 miles away, I'd do it for you in a heartbeat, Rennie. :(
What? You don't keep a mini lathe in your trunk?

I could take a stab at it.. no guarantees as to the outcome of course :D No cost for wood (it would just be from scraps anyway) or time, and I don't have a garden so the postage would be COD or you can PM me for my address and send me a self addressed and stamped padded envelope :D You can owe me a barley pop sometime..

I assume the tenon is for attaching it to the door and that you aren't planning to screw it in place, just glue it into a matching hole? Otherwise I'd index on a pre-drilled hole to make sure it was centered...

Looks like the side profile would likely be close to: http://www.daltons.com/gustav/gustavsold/clockdetail3.jpg

You could also go pyramidal although that may not be quite right depending on the rest of the piece: http://readwatchdo.com/2012/03/make-a-stickley-pyramid-pull/
Ryan - thanks for the offer! Although Stephen beat you to it I will still supply the barley pop should our paths ever cross!

Well Rennie, I'm not a turner but I have an old lathe and I have never turned a miniature knob, but I will go down tonight and see what happens if there are no other takers and you are willing to gamble. :rofl:
Thanks!

It would take me two weeks to get around to it Rennie, I still have to make two pens owed to another member :(
Thank you!
I would do it for ya Rennie but alas I have given my son my turning stuff. SWMBO yells at me every time I go near saw dust or machine that make it. I guess she is tired of seeing me breakout due to allergies. If someone makes wine stoppers that could just use the mandrel from that and that way you could use the threaded hole on the back to mount it to the door. That's how I would do it.
Thanks Don. The door is only 3/8" thick and I wanted to stay a little closer to the original design which calls for the tenon. Things could change, but I'm going to give it a shot.

rennie, here are those pics i mentioned. also, in addition to what i had mentioned, it looks like the joints for the bottom are pegged as well. these are both originals at auction sites.

Attachments

• example 1.jpg
    example 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20
  • example 2.jpg
    example 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
rennie, here are those pics i mentioned. also, in addition to what i had mentioned, it looks like the joints for the bottom are pegged as well. these are both originals at auction sites.
Thanks Dan. Yes, that is an original! I did not "peg" the through tenons, but opted to appear to peg them using square ebony plugs. The joint itself is glued.

My reason as well...I like to turn big bulky things. Little delicate items usually go flying off my lathe (in pieces:eek:). Glad the forum could help you out Rennie!
:rofl: Same for me. I think I could build a dining room table in the time its taking me to build this clock!

rennie, Id turn it for you, but Im figuring you want it to look decent so I didn't volunteer.
:rofl::rofl:

These arrived today. Thanks Stephen!
ehy9ehy3.jpg